What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just about finished

Yep, looks pretty good :) More questions to go with Ron's

1) what kind of panels?
2) did you actually get the weather stripping in?!!
3) I'd assume you're gonna cover that thing in shade cloth big time?
4) how about cooling?

its already pretty shaded but i do plan on adding 40% shade cloth, the white kind i think i heard was the best
Yes i actually got the weather stripping in...all but like 2 which i filled with silicon caulking instead...
cooling shouldnt be much of an issue, if it is ive got various fans and a small swamp cooler i can toss in somewhere in the garage. it doesnt get too hot here
i can also use my hose safely here as the water hardness is very low....20-24ppm.
Panels are polycarbonate

EDIT
Sorry Ron missed your questions
Heating for winter probably will come around in october when i have more money...currently BROKE lol
as for exposure
the GH gets direct sun from around 10AM to 3PM during the summer, the rest of the day is broken sun/bright dappled shade.
our natural summer temps are generally from 70-80ºF with lows in the mid to low 50s

Very Nice! How much did it cost you? How large is it?

it is only 6 x 10
it cost 630$
300 of which was paid for by my sister for christmas, 100 from my mom, 100 from my dad...the rest from my pocket, worth it. i would have prefered to build a larger greenhouse though, instead of a kit

Hmmm do some testing on that first bud... One of my greenhouses looks really similar to that but is twin wall polly and has dual swinging doors... About 2 weeks ago now it was about 75f out and the pump in my swamp cooler went out- it was still blowing air in.. but without water it was just the outside air... and it reached 118f in there. Mayhaps my sun is more intense than yours or something.. but definitely give it some test runs with a thermometer with min/max saving (I run one similar to this in each greenhouse.. From lowes for like 8 bucks http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/meters.shtml ) so you're sure what temps you'll be working with in there. I just looked and tried to find a topic with pics of my little g/h and can't find it... I wonder if I even ever posted one... hmmmmmm

edit: here is a picture of mine after I finished putting it together... Pretty similar in size/shape Except I couldn't get any of that rubber gasket crap in LOL Maybe because mine is twinwall panels therefor is wider ??? haha I just used silicone the whole thing :-D

1110081716.jpg

Last edited:
yeah our sun is nowhere near as intense as it is there LOL
i will defenantly test it out before i put anything in it in summer.
today was 72 out with direct sun hitting it for awhile. only raised a couple degrees inside. but its still only spring adn the sun still isnt as harsh as it can be...just glad our temps are nowhere near as insane as yours

ya ya ya... rub it in :p

finally FINALLY finished with the greenhouse. we put the gravel and tables in today...these are just temporary tables until i find better ones, we had these sitting in the garage LOL.
sooo, finally time to start moving in plants....
GHandtemperates002.jpg

That looks great! I can't wait for you to fill it up! Lol :-D

growrack is gone out in the greenhouse with my larger neps, terrarium is next...taking a break for now, one armed work is hard x_x

began moving things in today....now to see how they do before i move the little ones.

GHandtemperates6-7-09004.jpg

GHandtemperates6-7-09003.jpg

GHandtemperates6-7-09002.jpg

GHandtemperates6-7-09001.jpg

No fan = disaster! At the very least you need to be able to remove part of the back wall when it gets hot.

cp ill add a fan, trust me. ive got one ready to go.
but this area is really shaded, and ive got pleanty of ventilation on the GH, there is a vent. just cant see it in the photo. i know.

So, whats in theree atm :D.

You should have known this was coming aha.

umm...just a few common neps...well one isnt common LOL
so i think there is like, as far as neps go...
2 sangs
spectabilis
miranda
ventrata
viking
ventrata
talangensis
ventricosa x angasanensis
some dews and pings
a couple orchids
and thats it right now...im not gonna move my small neps out yet

I would recommend the shade cloth. You can always only hang it over half the house where the neps are. That way the dews and pings can get full sun light. If you can spring some extra money you can get the metal shelves from Home Depot and then put the neps on the bottom. You can always build your own shelves and put the nep under them too. It will act like a shade cloth! Very nice and good luck!

yeah i was going to keep an eye out for shade cloth but a friend of mine said i probably wont need it considering this is right under a few trees that provide shade throughout the day
i dont think the GH ever gets full on direct sunlight....its oddly cooler in there than it is outside on the hottest of days....the other day it was 95 out, it was only 84 in the GH
ive been monitoring it long before i put stuff in it lol.
but yeah ive got some stuff that is like shadecloth that im going to use once i get my smaller plants out.
the plants in the back of the GH will never get direct harsh sun, just dappled full sun throughout the day.

Looking great so far. But, I have two questions:

Does the gravel help with humidity? Everyone seems to have gravel in their greenhouses.
And, what do you mean one arm work? Lol. Is your hand still injured? o_O

yeah the gravel seems to help with it, not sure though since its always humid in there even before i added gravel.
i dislocated my shouler and tore my rotator cuff in my left arm. 3 months ago i tore my rotator cuff in my right arm lol.

The gravel also keep the floor clean, and give you traction after watering your prized hamata and other plants, unless you fall and dislocate your other shoulder ;)

Back