Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to Venus Fly Trap Terrariums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ScottyChaos: I have read an equal amount of people stating that they can or cannot grow Venus Fly Traps in a terrarium. That being said, I have to ask what is the point of having a terrarium?

To me: a terrarium is a medium set up to grow plants in their optimum growing conditions. If a plant naturally grows in Florida but you live in NY, growing the plant in a terrarium that is set up like Florida you should be able to grow it in NY.

Thats not saying I'm not going to take your advice and grow nepenthes.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are reports of exceptions but the rule that applies to pretty much every venus flytrap is that it needs a dormancy. Without dormancy it's lifespan is reduced to about a year or two depending on other factors like light. However with a dormancy, flytraps can live for decades.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plan was to let it go into dormancy by moving it to my girlfriends basement (she actually lives in an apartment with a garage), just for clarification when should dormancy happen.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blsmit View Post
    ScottyChaos: I have read an equal amount of people stating that they can or cannot grow Venus Fly Traps in a terrarium. That being said, I have to ask what is the point of having a terrarium?

To me: a terrarium is a medium set up to grow plants in their optimum growing conditions. If a plant naturally grows in Florida but you live in NY, growing the plant in a terrarium that is set up like Florida you should be able to grow it in NY.

Thats not saying I'm not going to take your advice and grow nepenthes.

Thanks
    Terrariums are definitely not optimum for VFTs. They are native to North Carolina. Terrariums are only really needed for plants that have high humidity and/or heat requirements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me rephrase my question. What is the best way to set up a 10 gallon CP Terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not really a simple question to answer. Each species will have its own requirements. But in general, I think most people recommend placing each plant in its own pot, so that it can be easily removed when necessary. Personally, I don't use a terrarium. I've found that my plants do well without one. Many CPs can be acclimated to normal household humidity. You're biggest challenge with growing venus flytraps indoors is going to be light and dormancy. They need a lot of light, I grow mine outside in full sun. If you must grow them indoors, use flourescent lights. Go with daylight bulbs (6500k color, its usually printed on the bulb) and give them a long photoperiod. I'm afraid I can't tell you how to do dormancy indoors. They'll need a decreased photoperiod and cool temperatures. All that being said, there's still no guarantee for long term success. As others have said, they really are outdoor plants. Don't let any of this discourage you though, there are plenty of cps that can do well as indoor/windowsill plants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blsmit View Post
    Hey guys My girlfriend got me a Venus Fly Trap, and I have been dieing to set up a Terrarium for it and probably a few more Fly Traps.

So this is what I got and ideas I have.

I have a 10 gallon aquairum. I would like more but I'm in college in a tiny apartment.

I'm going to layer the bottom with small rocks/large pebbles, then a layer of peat moss and perlite, then sphagnum moss.

My real questions are about light. There is about 5% natural light in my entire apartment. I have a window that is partially covered by desk. Where I want to grow has no Natural light. I wanted to try to get two CFL lights in the clip style, one for each side. Is this a good set up? What watt should I use?

Thanks to all who comment, and sorry if this on here (i've looked for 3 days)

Ben

There is certainly a hell of a lot of rubbish circulating about the cultivation of Dionaea.

Sure, it would be great if we all had access to direct sun and optimal conditions, but let's consider reality for a moment. I have grown flytraps under lights in the darkest damn apartments (in college) and on south-facing windows for years in the past; and I know of a number of people who grow them successfully in terrariums -- Barry Rice, author of Growing Carnivorous Plants, among them, as well as grower, David Connor (who at least grows a few under a T5 array). It simply requires some planning on your part , a modicum of expense, and often placing the lighting elements within inches of the plants themselves. Dormancy was generally triggered by shortening the lighting hours to mimic the change of season and keeping the terrarium in an unheated room from November through February (in California). That system worked for years without a hitch.

I now generally grow mine outdoors, due to the luxury of having more space; but I always have one or two on my south-facing window, for novelty's sake, and for the doom of the odd housefly. I would also suggest that your plants remain in separate pots; its far simpler to maintain and the root systems are generally healthier with more effective drainage than would be had in a closed system. Also, overheated tanks often breed disease, and I cannot tell you how many times I have seen Botrytis spread through a terrarium -- to the demise of everything . . .

Here is my windowsill "typical" plant with 3.8 cm (1.5") and larger traps from last Fall. Looks healthy enough to me.

Dionaea muscipula "Typical"

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BigBella,

Thanks for the pictures. I'm going to try it anyway, just wanted for some advice for my plans.
    Will probably be buying some plants from flytrapshop.com.

thanks,
    Ben

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast