Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to Venus Fly Trap Terrariums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Venus Fly Trap Terrariums

Hey guys My girlfriend got me a Venus Fly Trap, and I have been dieing to set up a Terrarium for it and probably a few more Fly Traps.

So this is what I got and ideas I have.

I have a 10 gallon aquairum. I would like more but I'm in college in a tiny apartment.

I'm going to layer the bottom with small rocks/large pebbles, then a layer of peat moss and perlite, then sphagnum moss.

My real questions are about light. There is about 5% natural light in my entire apartment. I have a window that is partially covered by desk. Where I want to grow has no Natural light. I wanted to try to get two CFL lights in the clip style, one for each side. Is this a good set up? What watt should I use?

Thanks to all who comment, and sorry if this on here (i've looked for 3 days)

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VFTs dont make good terrarium plant. If you keep it in there it will most likely eventually die. The plant needs full sun (6+ hrs outside) OR if you choose to grow it indoors you'll need some artificial lighting. Window sill light wont cut it. You'll need at least 12,000 lumens (minimum) I've had good results with mine under 4 T12s, 40W each, 4ft long lights. If you want to get a windowsill plant I'd go with something else such as a beginner Nepenthes or a Drosera adelae.

The reason your VFT wont do well is due to the higher humidity and lack of circulation of air which is perfect for fungus. If you can find a way to put your VFT outside, like use hooks to support a tray outside your window, it'll do really well for you as long as it gets full sun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest getting a fluorescent stoplight and setting up a table or desk for sundews.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sun doesn't happen much here. Check weather.com for this week at 17815. here heres the apartment complex I live in. I live on the northish facing side. with little light. I understand that growing outside is best but I don't think there will be enough light and will be far to cold for North Carolina like conditions.

Any suggestions.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blsmit View Post
    Sun doesn't happen much here. Check weather.com for this week at 17815. here heres the apartment complex I live in. I live on the northish facing side. with little light. I understand that growing outside is best but I don't think there will be enough light and will be far to cold for North Carolina like conditions.

Any suggestions.

Ben
    It doesn't look like you have any balcony space at those apartments. You can always try to grow VFTs under lights, it has been done, but it's not recommended for beginners. You might want to start with some beginner sundews and nepenthes. You can find some excellently priced varieties at www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to walmart and buy a two foot t8 fixture for 13dollars, bulbs included. Put that over the plant and it will be fine. If you want to buy better bulbs they sell them at lowes.

-peat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the fast responses. No there is no balcony (really theres hardly anything. Ill check out the sundews and nepenthes.

I'm taking a look at the t8... 13 dollars is an excellent price. Will this be enough light?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, if you can only grow a VFT in a terrarium, because you have no where else to keep it..
    well..then you really shouldn't grow VFTs at all right now..
    its really not fair to the plant..it WILL die..eventually..probably in a year or less.

its not your fault..you cant help where you live right now..
    you cant grow a pine tree in your dorm room either..
    certain plants need certain conditions..its just nature..

I know people dont like that advice..but its just the truth..
    I wouldn't get a dog or cat if I couldn't give it proper conditions to be healthy..or a fish..or a VFT..

they do very poorly in terrariums..and they cant go dormant..
    which will kill them..
    just wait until you can someday grow them outdoors..

meanwhile, some Nepenthes can make good windowsill plants.
    and they dont need dormancy..

more: http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

Scot

(now stay tuned for all the contrary opinions!
    yes, some people can grow them indoors..with YEARS of experience..
    and for SHORT periods of time..not long term..
    and someone will bring up "Barry Rice" again im sure....he doesnt grow them indoors year-round..only a few months at a time..)

no one has ever proved they can grow a VFT in a terrarium for more than two years..
    because they cant..
    meanwhile, some of my VFTs are 16 years old..
    im just sayin'..

I feel its my duty to always bring this issue up..just for the good of the plants.
    I do the same when goldfish bowls are discussed..its the exact same thing..

Scot

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast