What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK...time to replant the CPs I got at lowes

I plan to replant several plants that I bought at lowes and plan to leave them outdoors in my yard. I have 1 VF,a sun dew and a pitcher plant that need to be seperated (came in the same pot from lowes) There is also 2 butterworts and a purple pitcher plant (pitcher might not make it).
My questions would be:
1. what would be the best type of planter to use?
2. can they all go into a big pot?
3.whats the best soil mixture to use? (pearlite?)

I am sure I will have more questions due to being new to these plants. I plan to get some more plants soon to add to the collection as well.

IMG_5083.jpg

IMG_5084.jpg

IMG_5086.jpg

IMG_5087.jpg

IMG_5092.jpg

the flytraps and pitchers can go in one planter. the sundew and butterworts could also probaly live in the same pot. the best soil for me is a 1:1 mixture of peat/perlite. as far as planters go, you can use plastic (I believe that lowe's has a wide selection.)

The sundew you have is a tropical type called adelae and will need a separate pot. The flytrap and sarracenia can go together. I would put them in a 6 inch pot with peat and perlite in equal amounts. As they get bigger and grow larger root systems larger pots will be needed. Plastic is the cheapest pot to use and works fine. Perlite floats to the top of pots that are waterlogged, so if you find that annoying try a peat and sand mix.

Any pot will work really, as long as it isn't ceramic or something that will leach minerals into the soil. Drained or undrained, your choice.

Everything but the sundew and possibly the butterwort (depending on the type) can go into the same pot if properly spaced. The sundew is a Drosera adelae which should be grown indoors in a sunny window. If the butterwort is a Pinguicula primuliflora, you can grow it indoors in a window or outdoors with plenty of shade (preferably morning sun only).

You can use pure peat, peat and perlite, or peat and sand for the pitchers and flytrap. I have always used peat and perlite, but I have heard that just peat works exactly the same; I plan on using it next time I repot my outdoor plants.
(I see it as that there isn't any perlite in their natural habitat... Just peat and sometimes sand.)

When repotting these, expect to make a mess. The way they pot those death cube plants together is hideous. Usually, there will be a highly compacted brick shaped chunk of dried long fiber sphagnum. Your going to have to do some hacking to take this apart, so you may loose a few roots in the process. Just do it as carefully as possible and leave some of the sphagnum around the roots of the plants so you don't tear them up to badly.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

yeah dont pick away at dry media when tring to unpot those things...

try to gently wash away the media...

Holy fudge!

They're putting all those species in one planter?!?! :down:

rinsing the roots in a bucket of water helps to get the soil/media dislodged from the roots with minimal damage, but with long fibered moss it might be more tricky. It's okay to leave some of the old soil on the roots if that's what it takes.

I would plant the VFT in a container separate from the Sarracenia. What part of the country do you live in? I'm in the Northwest, and my Winters are cold and very, very wet. My Sarracenia don't mind at all and can drown all Winter without seeming phased. However, if I let my VFTs stand in water trays during the cold months, I get at least an 80% death rate - which is a generous estimate, as I basically don't remember any survivors of this type of treatment. I use shallow lids to keep about 1/16" of water standing for my VFTs during dormancy and the rain seems to keep them happy. You may have more success with potting it separately.
~Joe

I can't believe they crammed those three plants together in one tiny pot. I'd separate them all ASAP. :0o:

And if you go with perlite in your mix, make sure it's unfertilized. Same with the peat moss. Don't get the Miracle-Gro stuff, as it's saturated with plant food which will kill your CPs. It can be difficult to find unfertilized perlite, and it can be difficult to find unfertilized peat in sizes smaller than two- or three-cubic-foot bales.

I chose to go with pool filter sand to combine with peat for my Droseras and VFTs (don't have any Sarracenia). You can get a 50-lb. bag of it for about $9 at a pool supply store. It's pure silica, comes in a very sturdy bag with a pouring spout, and it's enough to last for a looooooooong time.

Well....The purple pitcher died off...I put the root into a pot of peat in hopes that it would come back.

The fly trap and pitcher in one pot and they seem to be doing great. both have new growth.

The sundew and butterwort went into another pot...they dont look like they are doing so good. Its 1/2 peat -1/2 pearlite sitting on the front porch in the shade....leaves are dying off and no signs of new growth :(

Bummer about the purple pitcher and the others. Most of those plants aren't healthy to start with, so you are doing ok if you still have the flytrap and pitcher plant. Most of the plants I get from lowe's aren't with me anymore. by the way, did you get my pm about the darlingtonia seed?

Back