Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass Death

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like (at least the 'Albino') a few of your dews might need a better-draining mix. i know if you move them outside, this should clear up most of your symptoms, since they really seem to like it out there. BUT next year, I'd recommend repotting at least the 'Albino' into a peat: silica sand mixture. Then it should put out normal leaves again... I've pretty much started to avoid perlite for most of my dews, since my growing conditions favor a sandier-better draining mix, but there are many that do fine in it. You just have to experiment with what does/doesn't work for where you live.
    The D. 'Giant' leaf looks good- possibly too much food for the browning condition you're seeing, but as long as each leaf eats a lot, you will always see new leaves rollin on out of the crown.
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I noticed a lot of new leaves coming out of the crown. And one more flower stalk (which was in that photo) which I snipped. I am hoping to have the plant fill up that entire pot, that would be awesome. Supposedly they get absolutely huge if you keep them alive.

As for the soil, I am thinking of moving towards a 1-1 Peat-LFS mix. I do not know of a good source of sand locally. There's "Whitney farms" White Sand, which MIGHT be the right stuff.... But I donno.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya! It could have been water poisoning, though. I'd get rid of what ya have and buy some distilled water, flushing out the pots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the Nep it's probably the heat... for the rest, it kinda looks like aphid damage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aphids? I have had some little bugs in my live spaghnum container, I was told they're springtails, not aphids. I wouldn't know what to look for...

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look for small green or brown slow moving insects on the tips of new growth.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say you have an insect problem at least. Those white specks on the Nepenthes pitcher and the last photo of the Drosera look like cast off skins from either aphids or thrips. Get a magnifying glass and inspect your plants.

You say the plants are on/near a windowsill? Do the pots get direct sunlight? You said the air temps went up to 105F? If the pots are in the sun the soil temps could have shot up way above 105F. Cooked roots will kill your plants faster than letting them dry out. Shade the pots with some cardboard or something.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the best insecticide to get? Something that's safe on a variety of types of CP? I'd like to get it locally, too, if possible...

Edit: The white dots on that drosera are crushed bloodworms, I fed that one recently.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast