Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium variety

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spintix View Post
    yeah , there as tall as the top of the tank, about 3 feet. not sure about the T but the bulbs are sunglow bulbs that supposedly give off the same UV rays as the sun.. and i have a reflector over the top
    To tell the T system, look at the diameter of the bulbs. If it is well over an inch, they are T12s, if it is closer to one inch, they are T8s, and if they are well under one inch, they are T5. The only fluorescent lighting system I'd even try to grow VFTs long term with is a T5 setup with a 95% or better reflector.

Were these bulbs marketed as agricultural bulbs? One of the things that is often only discovered when talking to veteran growers is that agricultural lights are typically a waste of money. Any difference between them and your common fluorescent tubes is negligible. They can never measure up to the sun's intensity.

The biggest point is, however, if you have the means to grow venus flytraps outside in full sun, it is better than growing them under lights 100% of the time. J.P. mentioned dormancy as well. If you have not read up on that, you should.

Save your indoor growspace for more sun sensitive plants like nepenthes.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok there T12s and they were just the sunglo version at lowes

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just like the idea of having a whole ecosystem of plants thriving together..
    I think that's just the thing though. It isn't an ecosystem - those plants aren't associated with one another, and they don't benefit from one another's presence. They aren't from the same ecosystems; they aren't even all from the same biomes. Even if you can get past tricky things like pests, overcrowding and dormancy issues, some of those plants just have flat-out different needs. Sundews like to stay wet; Nepenthes need air circulation through their root mass. VFTs like it moist and warm; Cephalotus likes it dryish and cool. I think you would be well-served to do some more research on the cultural conditions of your plants.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well im not even going to try the cobra lilly, but i was thinking the temperate plants would be somewhat succeptable to tropical conditions.. plus, in the window the way the sun comes down only the plants in the front of the tank get about 4-5 hours of sunlight. Where the ventricosa and sundews are in the back so they are in the direct sun for only about an hour or 2 at most.. and the fan keeps the air below 95 degrees.. i hope i can pull this off.. i wish more people would try to give advice for how to achieve this, despite the complications..

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i plan on taking the vfts out for the winter months...
    It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. The plant needs to be outside for a few months before winter in order to properly enter dormancy. Sticking them straight into the cold will put them in shock and probably kill them.
    It needs to be done gradually.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so fall then..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wish more people would try to give advice for how to achieve this, despite the complications..
    I understand the frustration, but honestly, you're asking something that's close to impossible. Here in southern California, I enjoy a wonderful climate for carnivorous plants. In fact, I could probably grow all the plants you listed outdoors if I had some shade cloth for the nepenthes and sundews.

However, I would not be able to grow all of them indoors. As a rule, VFTs are outdoor plants through and through. There are a small few who break that rule, and an even smaller few who break it successfully. I think they would agree, though, that with a couple T12 bulbs and some filtered sunlight, you will not be able to grow VFTs or any other temperate plants indoors.

Is it in any way possible you could grow these in a yard or on a windowsill planter? When winter comes around, your VFTs will need to go dormant. If they are kept outside, they will initiate dormancy on their own unless you live in a hot tropical environment year-round. Without a dormancy, your flytraps will die.

We're not trying to discourage you from the hobby, we'd just hate to see you lose those fine plants.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what would you suggest i use if i want all these plants growing in the same planter and closed off on the sides so that flightless bus cant escape

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast