Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium variety

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrarium variety

Im new to this but ive done a ton of research and so far this is what is in my terrarium. N Ventricosa Red, 3 typical form venus flytraps, 1 red dragon, 1 red pirahna, 1 dente, 1 big mouth, 1 big vigorous, 1 cross haired. 1 cape sundew, 1 staghorn sundew, 1 marshton dragon sundew, 1 forked sundew giant form. Now my only question is can i grow a cobra lilly in this terrarium with all the others? I know it needs cooler nights , but can all those other plants tolerate cooler nights? I also plan on completeing my terrarium with a cupped trap venus, an austalian pitcher small, and an N Truncata. Out of all these plants listed which ones have the greatest root base? if placed together will any of these rob the other of water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All VFTs are best grown outside, I seriously recommend finding them a better spot outside. Some of your sundews will do better outside as well though a terrarium is fine like binata. As for Darlingtonia I would set it outside as well.
    Be careful with some of your plants like the Cephalotus, it's not a recommended plant for beginners, not saying it'll die on you but it'll need more maintenance then a D. capensis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well the terrarium is in a south facing window that gets about 4 hours of direct sunlight a day. and the temp doesn't go over 90-95 at highest. I have a small fan blowing air into a tipped up part of the lid to keep the air filtered so mold and fungus wont grow. Plus i live in a pretty dry climate so i doubt mold and fungus will be much of a problem. but besides that i am dead set on a terrarium.. even bought humidity and temperature gauges. and if any are difficult to maintain please give me some basic tips on keeping them healthy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    besides the 4 hours of sun they also get about 14-16 hours of 40 watts of sunglow a day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even with a south facing window your Akai ryu will not be able to turn bright red with less than 6-8 hours of direct outside sunlight. You also wont see the summer VFT leaves which stand erect. Your sundew would do fine in this window but the Darlingtonia and VFTs simply wont unless you can get a hold of some SERIOUS lighting equipment. If you're really set on a terrarium try leaving one or 2 VFT and set the rest of them outside and compare the results at the end of the growing season, you'll see what i mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, welcome to Terra Forums!

The community is always happy to help out new recruits. For a first timer, you definitely have acquired a large range of plants. As we commonly see on this forum, all the research in the world often cannot prepare you for actually growing some of the more difficult species.

As Frenchy stated, Venus flytraps are not well suited for terrariums and are best kept outside 99% of the time. Venus flytraps need full, unfiltered, sunlight to thrive. Cobra lilies are also outdoor temperate plants, but are more difficult to care for. They often need constant running water to cool their delicate roots.

EDIT: It would also be beneficial to have your location so we can check up on your weather. In addition, it'd be good to know if you have an outdoor area where you could keep plants.

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya! Welcome to TF!

I highly reccommend growing the VFTs outside. No questions about it. And another thing is is that I would do a planted terrarium if your going to have all those plants. What I would do is have them in individual pots and have the terrarium act like a mini-greenhouse. I wouldn't try to have a Ceph and a beastly Nep in a planted terrarium.

I need some other people's words on this, but wouldn't it be better to grow forked sundews onside in the sun than in a terrarium? :x
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well so far all the plants are doing great.. the venus flytraps get the most amount of light in the window.. and i would think 16 hours of 2 20 watt bulbs and 4 hours of direct sunlight would be enough?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast