Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Misting system question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Misting system question

Lately i checked all over the place for a misting system to put in my greenhouse. Found a few good ones. I'm planing to use it to cool down the greenhouse a bit during the hot hours. All the systems i see are conecting to a tap water source. I know some of you have misting systems and i was wondering how are you dealing with the salts and calcium in the tap. I know they have calcium filters but how can one deal with the salts? Do you guys know any good misting systems with very fine mist (or maybe adjustable)?
    Any info would be much appreciated...especialy if you have a system yourself!
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I run a 1000psi fogging system that runs on a cycle timer but only if the humidity is under my setting... It is fed directly from my RO storage tanks where I hold about 40 gallons at a time. I have one of the smaller tanks like what comes with the under sinks ones set up with a one way flow valve so it is filled, but will not drain when I water, leaving the water in that tank specifically for the fogger.

Good luck
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.ca View Post
    ...All the systems i see are conecting to a tap water source. I know some of you have misting systems and i was wondering how are you dealing with the salts and calcium in the tap....Any info would be much appreciated....
    Rather than connecting a misting system to a tap water source connect to a pump in your R.O. reservoir.

and actually you can connect the pump to a humidistat, thermistat, or timer. then you shouldnt need any misting system controll system. just connect the pipes, hoses and misters to the pump.

hi Andrew what is your gpd rating on you r.o. filter? what is your usage for the fogger out there in the desert?
    D
    Last edited by dking; 07-05-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: update for unseen post
    Does anyone else think that Miranda and Lady Pauline are terrible names for a male plant?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My filter is a 100gpd. The fogger uses approx .8 gallons per min, but only runs for 15 seconds every 20 mins in the day and 8secs every hour at night (I think is what it is set to right now... I change it through the year for what i need)

Andrew
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys!
    I did see a pumb but the price was 650$ or something like that....are they all that expensive? Any place i can find a good one?
    Andrew, i knew you had a system...i just remembered one of the old threads where you posted. So how do you deal with all that wasted water? I usually feed the swamp cooler with that. Maybe i'm not reading this right but are you saying you domt use a pump just the tank, Andrew?
    Best regards,
    Marius

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yup, I think that is what I spent on it... Been using it like 4 years now? and have had zero problems with it, once I figured out how to feed it.
    The run off water from the RO and my swamp coolers is on a very long hose and is moved to different plants around the yard.
    I actually have 2 pumps. I have a pump to boost the pressure in the g/h just before the RO (which actually is not needed now that I ran a 1/2" pipe out to the g/h instead of running that 1/4" poly line ) and I also have a multi speed demand pump, that pump sits on the out side of my 2 large tanks and then feeds toward the fogger tank, and my watering wand. That allows for the fogger tank to be filled first (and at high pressure) and for me to water faster even when the tanks start to get low. Is it required for the fogger? hmmm.... if you have 35psi in the tank I would think you'd be fine. So then it depends on the in pressure of your ro (since the tank pressure is generally 80% of the incoming water pressure when using the ASO (automatic shut off) that comes with most ROs. If you are using a booster pump, then you probably have an adjustable shut off switch, I think I have mine set at 55psi.

Happy to help it took me a lot of trial and error to figure out a way that worked!
    Andrew
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andrew!
    Well i guess i should get a tank first!
    One that can hold up some presure and see how it goes. Would you recomand the 1/2" pipe in place of that smaller line?
    Best regards,
    Marius

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh, I was talking about the water line running from the house to the greenhouse. 40ft of 1/4" line really does something to your water flow and pressure, so that's why I needed the booster. but now having the larger line running out there I probably really don't need the pump. As far as the 1/4" lines on the ro... it's fine.

All bladder tanks should be able to take high pressures, the higher the pressure the more water they hold too- which is good!

for example- if you're going to go with the run of the mill 3.2 gallon tank... Here is how much water you'll store at different pressures:

pressure capacity pressure capacity
    15 PSIG 1.26 gal 40 PSIG 2.66 gal
    20 PSIG 1.72 gal 45 PSIG 2.82 gal
    25 PSIG 2.05 gal 50 PSIG 2.93 gal
    30 PSIG 2.33 gal 55 PSIG 3.07 gal
    35 PSIG 2.52 gal 60 PSIG 3.17 gal

Or with a larger 14 gallon tank...
    pressure capacity pressure capacity
    15 PSIG 3.69 gal 40 PSIG 8.35 gal
    20 PSIG 5.28 gal 45 PSIG 8.73 gal
    25 PSIG 6.46 gal 50 PSIG 9.10 gal
    30 PSIG 7.22 gal 55 PSIG 9.44 gal
    35 PSIG 7.91 gal 60 PSIG 9.79 gal

Andrew
    -Andrew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast