Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Grow chamber like thing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new Grow chamber like thing!

Hi guys, I am in the process of completing my first grow chamber. I have built it out of pvc, and will be wrapping it with contractor's plastic (the stuff used as drop cloths.) I will try to post pics when (and if) I finish. I have designed it to be for lowlanders (bottom covered part)(I might keep them outside during summer) and Highlanders (top shelf uncovered.) I still need to buy a light fixture, finish covering the rest of it, and get the plants (hoping to have something to trade if you have lowlanders; fingers crossed.)

How does it sound so far? anything that I am doing wrong? I understand that without photos you may not be able to tell me, but like I said, it is a work in progress.

Thanks in advance
    my growlist
    The Southeast Carnivorous Plant Society
    Man who run in front of car get tired; man who run behind car get exhausted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What type and quantity lights are you planning on using?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds Nice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what size pvc tubing are you using, casue that sounds like an easy way to get it done! what are the dimentions gonna be?
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony- I will base that on which plants I get. for example, if I were to lean towards N. Bical like species, I would use maybe one 80w fixture on a timer for a few days. I will have to figure this all out based on the species I can get.

Bloke- yes it is pretty easy, and really affordable. I am doing this for about $30. the dimensions are (approx.) 2 1/4' deep 2 1/2 ' tall and 4' wide. I am using Sch.40 3/4" Pvc piping.
    my growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would deffinately go with at least 2 -2tube fixtures. Even for some of the plants that can grow ok with lower light levels as you mention. 4 - 4' normal tubes won't be too much and you will have much better growth and color on the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony. I still need to buy the lights. Are you saying that 2 80w fixtures (for a total of 160 w) should be ok, as long as I keep them on for a shorter time frame then I would for, say perhaps, D. Capensis?
    my growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm seems we are talking about a few different things.

I would consider 2 80w fixtures bare minimum for a nepenthes enclosure with the dimensions you indicate.

Most Drosera need very high light as they are used to full sun in the wild. You can grow them under the fixtures indicated but they will need to be within a few inches of the bulbs to get the light intensity they need. So in your 2.5' tall enclosure you will need to raise the sun loving Drosera up closer to the bulbs.

I am not quite sure what you mean by "keep them on for a shorter time frame"
    If you mean can you increase the number of lights and decrease the amount of hours they are on for each day, then no. Most people run their lights about 14 hours/day to simulate a long day Summertime photo period. How bright the light is, is irrelevant. You can not decrease the photoperiod and make up for by increasing brightness, or vice versa.

Also you cannot make up for insufficient light intensity by increasing photo period. For example if a plant is growing poorly and not getting enough light, going from say 12 hours of lights to 16 won't make any difference.

Don't skimp on lighting. It is the number one most important factor for your success growing these plants indoors. Without proper lighting the plants will never do well, period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast