What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Schultz Insect Spray (Pyrethrin) Safe?

I have a Schultz Insect Spray for Indoor/Outdoor insect spray. It's #1 ingredient is Pyrethrin, right afterwards are Piperonyl Butoxide, and "other ingredients" (99.9%).

I have an infestation of SOMETHING. For a very long while I ignored them as they appeared to be springtails and harmless. However, today I noticed my P. Moreansis with little nibble marks on it AGAIN, as well as the ping strikes I put in my prop chamber having the same bite marks.

The bugs are everywhere, in all my pots, but I mostly see them in the prop chamber.

I don't have Neem Oil locally, so this is probably the best I can get without ordering online. I have given them a quick spirts after noticing the bite marks and that the P. x 'Titan' pullings I embedded in the prop chamber soil have huge chunks out of them now.

Edit: Here are some example leaves from earlier this year:
Ping.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, that reminds me ( just the picture) of slug damage. Slugs and snails
have this 'tongue-like' mouth part called a radula. Picture a miniature strip of sharp grit sand paper that is folded with top and bottom sides in a slug/snails mouth. Take it in for a moment. Now scream in horror, as many before you have.

I haven't had good results with pyrthrins against slugs/snails. You may be better off, by finding them and trying to rid them manually. Maybe some type of snail repellant like copper strips. Snail pellets work wonders also. Try to find a poison/repellant that won't harm the plants though.

Hope this helps!
-Jack

For trouble molluscs try filling a shallow jar lid like for olives with beer (any brand) and set on top of a pot (or in a planted terrarium). The beer will attract the snails/slugs and they die when they drink the beer.

Don't use pyrethium spray on Utricularias, it may kill the leaves. At least, it melted my U. alpina when I sprayed my N. hamata and the alpina next to it got the overspray.

That was when I made the switch to 90% isopropyl alcohol in a mister bottle as my on contact bug killer. So far I've never lost a plant using it but killed lots of mealies! I've heard soaking a handful of cigarette butts in a liter of water for a few days, then filtered out and put in a mister will not only kill on contact but act as a systemic pesticide as well. But I'm kinda worried my plants would smell like an ash try. :(

I haven't seen any slugs, unless slugs and snails can be VERY small indeed -- or burrow through the ground.

The new damage started happening after I repotted my P. Morensis into a mix of new Whitney Farms Peat Moss and Perlite, which caused a rather rapid growth spurt to occur. It's also not quite as bad.

More worrying is the Titan leaf that was half embedded in the soil and came out missing a strip. Could I be looking at a bug that hides underground?

This is the other damage I've noticed, on some of my Cape Sundews:

Rash.jpg

But not all of them.

yes, during daylight slugs and snails will go where it's cool, moist and dark (into the soil). Then at night, they feed! lol!

I was looking at succulents at Lowe's and I felt a big moist root like thing with my finger under one pot, I looked and it was a huge green/gray slug with blue dashes on it's back. I've never seen such a huge slug must've been about 2"! After I left the shop I thought how neat it might be to have a big ugly pet slug...

Are we looking at the tiny specks and the red around them? I would say probly mites of some sort offhand (are you seeing any tiny webs?). Rubbing alcohol should work on them if you have any and a spare mister onhand. I've dunked a D. capensis in alcohol before to to kill an aphid infestation.

They actually haven't come back lately -- the new leaves on that plant are normal colored, I mean. I completely repoted that plant and gave it a quick rinse when I did, so it might have been that.

I did notice a while back an odd slimey ooze in my prop chamber, I assumed it was some form of algae or something, but... Ugh. Maybe it's time to start emptying out that prop chamber. Most of the things inside there outside of some B52 strikes are ready to go into real pots, anyway.

The Drosera in that chamber, along with the Sarr and the Dionea are fine, at least they appear to be fine, no bite marks...

What are some good tricks to get rid of slugs / snails if that's what it is? Edit: Other than Beer, I mean. It's an internal plant rack and I'm not sure how I'd fit a can of beer in.

Back