What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okay y'all, I need some brainstorming concerning WINTER. You know, that season that plants'll go into dormancy. (I know that officially, Autumn is next, but you know:-() Last year, all my Sarracenia rhizomes, VFT's and Droseras fit into a 3.5 gallon bag, which I plopped in the fridge for the season. (un)Fortunately, my collection grew, and do you know how much fridge space is a 3.5 gallon bag ready to burst!?!?!?! This year, it'll be more like a garbage bag, and I need some other ideas on how to winter them. Right now, they're in 2 minibogs 1' by 2' each. I'd rather not uproot them, just keep them where they are. Anything in our house or garage isn't an option, since we use wood heat, and the whole thing is in the 80s-90s constantly. Zone 6 here, the coldest being -4 F last year. Sooo, I was thinking of making something outside similar to a greenhouse, small, and putting a heater in it w/ a thermostat to keep temps around 40 F for under 50 bucks for the whole thing. But, I'm really open to other ideas. PLEASE, post your ideas!:hail: Also, here's a couple questions that relate to winter that I've had as well:
1. What fungicide for overwintering? I've never bought the stuff, but would like to find a brand name I could probably find at Walmart or Lowes that would help with fungus during Winter and take care of damp-off for seedlings.
2. Wood heating. I've got some Neps in the windowsill, N. ventricosa hybrids, sanguinea, and a ventricosa, along with a P. medusina. Wood heating sends temps into the 90s, and humidity downdowndown. I'm planning of overwintering the N. rafflesiana that's outside now on the same wondowsill w/them. Does this sound like a good idea? would I need to make something to give any of them additional humidity? Will the Ping go into dormancy or something from high temps like that? They're sitting on a 90 gal fishtank, which might bring up the humidity some. I just want to keep them alive through the winter, but letting them thrive and pitcher as well would be nice!:poke: Oh, opening the window is NOT an option!!! Remember the -4 F nights???:jester:
Okay, that's it for now!

Happy growing!
Aslan

Do you have a cool basement or such as Scottychaos? He could also lend you some great tips, I'm guessing. :)

lets see.....grouse season just started, followed in a few weeks by waterfowl, pheasant a few days later and deer and elk season a few weeks after that........atleast 3 more seasons till winter(predator) season hits.....

lets see.....grouse season just started, followed in a few weeks by waterfowl, pheasant a few days later and deer and elk season a few weeks after that........atleast 3 more seasons till winter(predator) season hits.....

....not to mention duck season, wabbit season... and Elma season...

Nope, we don't have a basement. I've already thought about that. Thanks anyways, Clue.
LOL! You're right, I didn't take those seasons into account, did I? :) None of the fun ones, anyway.
Any ideas, anyone?

Aslan

Back