Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Some mini-greenhouse advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some mini-greenhouse advice

Hello everyone. I've been housing some young Nepenthes outdoors for the Summer. Changes are a coming and I plan on moving this outdoor setup indoors within the next month or so due to the weather. I also think I will be able to provide better growing condition as well.
    http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSC01054-1.jpg
    http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSC01081-1.jpg

When moved inside, I plan on fully enclosing this setup in the clear vinyl provided with the greenhouse. I plan on using a small fan at the bottom to provide air circulation throughout, and I am going to place a large plastic pan on the bottom tier as well, fill it with water and use a submersible aquarium heater to provide necessary humidity (To me, this setup sounds like it will work, your thoughts?). This will definintely have to be tweaked because, unfortunately, I have a mix of temperate and some highland Nepenthes. I will post species soon as I get them together.

Final thing to overcome is lighting. I found this which I think I plan to use due to the limited width of my setup : http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/compact_top.php --model pt2227. I plan on suspending one below one of the shelves and placing my Nepenthes directly below it, hopefully using only one shelf, but 2 if it is overcrowded. Should I line this setup with mylar? Again, your thoughts, ideas?

Lastly, what kind of CFL's should I be purchasing? i researched around a little and seem to have come up with 40w Daylights being the best option for my setup. Am I correct with this? your feedback on all of my ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with the 40 watt lights as close as possible to your plants; but the biggest concern is the real possibility of overheating. You'd be surprised at how quickly a small enclosure can get well over 100˚ with just a small amount of ambient sunlight . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks prmills for the advice. I will see how it goes.

Heres an off-hand list of what I will be growing in this setup:
    N. ventricosa (I believe - no label store bought from Lowes)
    N. sanguinea (I believe - again store bought from Lowes)
    N. orange sanguinea
    N. burkei
    N. talangensis x veitchii
    N. sibuyanensis x hamata

with some more young ones on the way eventually

Being a beginner at this, I think I screwed up in my setup by buying a mix between lowland and highland plants. What I plan on doing is getting this indoor setup up and running and overcoming the temperature barrier later. I just want to get the temperature and humidity stable at like an intermediate zone with everything I have.

Looking into lighting, I was looking at daylight CFL's straight from Lowes rated at 75W putting out a 6500K color temperature and a color rendering index of 82. Would three of these be good lighting for my setup? http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...058&lpage=none

I then went through the site where I am getting my lighting enclosure from, exo terra, and found these bulbs http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products...cent_bulbs.php
    Looking at specifically getting (3) Repti Glo 26W 2.0 CF's.

Again, me being new to this venture, having never used artificial lighting, I am in great need of direction here picking out the right type of lighting. Appreciate feedback. Thanks