0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time to fill that grow rack up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dajimmer - its a 4-tier mini-greenhouse . Google it, runs anywhere from 40-60 plus shipping. Cheap but gets the job done. Similar racks can be found at home depot or lowes. I'm using a 100 watt submersible aquarium heater and a bin full of disitilled water. Small house fan at bottom for air circulation. All components are on timers for controlled lighting, humidity and air circulation

nightsky - I think I plan on, in the near future, separating the four racks. Using the top two for lowland, and bottom two for highlands. I think the coolness of the floor at night with lights off will provide, hopefully, nice highland conditions. New light system and cool mist humidifier should do it fine. This way I can start filling it up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice. thanks. lots to think about for the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little lighting adjustment :

125w 6400k - 8,500 lumen bulb

May end up using the fixture I replaced this with to run a highland condition setup at the bottom tier if possible.... The plants seemed to be enjoying the simple standard cfl bulbs, the talangensis x veitchii just about put out a pitcher, and growth of the others were coming along nicely...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Greg NY

I have the exact same greenhouse down here in NZ. I have successfully grown Nepenthes in it for the last couple of years (thrived not survived). I have used a very similar setup, with 600mm shop lights suspended from each shelf. As you suggested, I grew lowland/intermediates at the top and highlanders at the bottom (temps were different, but only marginally). I used car windscreen sun covers on 3 sides to reflect light and add some insulation for winter to keep temperatures up. I did not heat the greenhouse, or the garage they were in, the lights provided adeqaute warmth. Needless to say, the temperatures of the room will control what temperatures you achieve without specific heating/cooling.

My two main comments would be as follows:

I also used a small fan for air circulation, which I think is important to prevent disease/problems.

Be carfeul on the watering. If you have been growing your plants on a windowsill say, they will require much less water inside the greenhouse compared to the windowsill. It is not a problem, you just need to be attentive.

I see it is placed next to a window. Can the plants receive direct sunlight? Be careful if so, like any terrarium, it can heat up very, very quickly!

I hope it is successful for you. I am actually in the process of selling off my Nepenthes, it was too tempting to use it as another grow area for Mexican Pinguicula!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12