What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor Man's Greenhouse

Well truckload of PVC Sched. 40 from Craiglist $20.00
Lowes 6 mil Plastic $50.00
A $70. 00 Greenhouse
PRICELESS:banana2:

P2260013.jpg

P2260023.jpg

Pretty Easy to build

Looks good! Is the plastic clearer than it looks? It looks completely white from the picture.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend testing it out when the sun is shining to see how warm it gets in there. Don't want anything to fry.

Crystal

It is not perfectly clear. It compares to 2 layers of Polythylene that is a couple of years old.
I got it from Lowes, I will have to see how it does. It doesn't get direct sunlight for very long. Parts can be folded down for ventilation. Will have to wait until next Spring/Summer to see what it really does. We had a couple of 85 degree days, with the vents open it wasn't much hotter than that inside.

Sounds like you've got everything covered then! I just wanted to make sure it was the semi clear stuff.

Lucky, we are still getting days here that hit into the 90s. It's better than it was, but still hot.

I hope you don't get any sudden gusts of wind! It looks good.

It's anchored down, THANX!
:clap: Good. Did you use any PVC primer & cement to attach the joints? It's not necessary at all, but sometimes over time, or if their is a lot of stress on them, such as wind, pieces of pvc can come apart if they aren't "welded" together.

Yeah I used cement in spots where it would be easier to come apart with wind. I gave it a good shake to see where the weak spots were.:bigthumpup:

Congrats! I am poor too and have an advanced degree in jerry-rigging if you run into any snags. Keep us updated.

Yeah I used cement in spots where it would be easier to come apart with wind. I gave it a good shake to see where the weak spots were.:bigthumpup:

Well now I just can't think of any more reasons why it wouldn't work. ??? Sounds like it will be able to stand for quite a while, nice work!

Looks great!:bigthumpup: How did you attach the plastic to the PVC?

Looks great!:bigthumpup: How did you attach the plastic to the PVC?

I took thin wall PVC and I cut it into smaller sections, about 4 to 6 inches long. Then I took a small section out long ways, to make a "C" shape.

P3040006.jpg
P3040007.jpg

I got you beat, I used an old bunkbed frame covered with plastic last winter. My plants quickly outgrew my greenhouse and I had to have something to get them through the winter!

I got you beat, I used an old bunkbed frame covered with plastic last winter. My plants quickly outgrew my greenhouse and I had to have something to get them through the winter!

NICE, Whatever works Right??

Cool idea. What is your test plant gonna be before all the plants go in?

Right now since it isn't so hot I have my 4 CP's in there along with some cutting of other stuff. We will see how they Winter in there then next spring I plan to fill it up. I have Plenty of Ventilation (openings, fans and such) Should be O.K. Thanx

Nice job! I'd love to have a real greenhouse but that would do! Maybe next year.....

As the Great Manny Herrera said in another forum an i Quote

mannyherrera ]Looks great. I really admire the ingenuity some of us develop just to grow these plants.
An i agree Very Nice

Daren

Back