What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Winter home for my tropicals

With winter quickly coming around the corner, i had to come up with a quick, make shift way of providing
A. shelter for the plants
and B. light for the plants
of course there are pots sitting on pots on the top row as space became quite the factor in this little project....im planning on adding mylar and plastic around as well for a mini greenhouse effect.
im thinking i need to add another fixture to the top row, but they are 8 foot T12 and either 40 or 60 watts, i cant remember for the life of me, and the smaller racks with 4 lights a piece are also T12, but only 20watts each and are 24"
DSC04841.jpg

DSC04850.jpg

And after they got settled in. :/ I wish you luck with the move :) (although I bet it's great in that garage. :p).

Good luck! Also, don't you have a few new plants coming in too? How are you gonna fit anymore in that?

Nice setup there, and very nice collection. How are you planning on supplying humidity?

That garage is plenty humid, holds about 70% constant...they are sitting ontop of some wood doors with a plastic cover, ontop of our hottub which has a broken thermostat, so we moved that huge light over it and set everything up...the hot tub top itself has a bit over a raised center so we had to remove it...humidity will increase when I add the plastic around the area...I did all of that yesterday, and the plants had already been there for a few days...as for the light, I've still got my terra but I will buy a couple more lights for that on my next paycheck. I've also got a cfl hood that is lighting my largest hamata, a truncata, clipeata, and a couple other small seedlings in my room next to my desk...so far so good :)

NICE, I only need to find room for 2 plants to bring in for the Winter. But one day I hope to be like you.:0o::0o:

Lol bryo thanks man, its really not as many as it looks like...i wish i had alot more to be honest, but only when im able to house them all lol. ive got a few sitting next to me in my room as well.

i worked on the grow space a bit more today with my free time...
One side only does not have plastic on it yet, and thats the front where i added slits in the mylar to access the plants for watering, and i hold it shut with clips at the base...which i need to find a better way of doing lol
CPs10-11-09001.jpg

CPs10-11-09002.jpg

Next step is making a light hood/reflector of some kind for the 8 foot shoplight hanging above the back rack, which my plants seem to rather like actually...

WOW Sir! I remember we got into this site about the same time as each other and were both starting out with practically nothing... well, your collection certainly grew MUCH faster than mine! Congratulations on the success, may it continue! You may think that your collection is "not as big as [we] think," and may dream of a larger collection, but meanwhile, I'm just dreaming of having a collection like yours someday! cheers!

-isaac

Well, here we are again, i was going to do this yesterday (which would have been freaky because it would have been exactly a year to the day that i set this up for these plants)
i change the lighting on the tank this go around, to 2x 4 foot 2 bulb T8 fixtures....hope they are better than the T12s....and of course i still have my tank in my room going as well with 3x 2 foot 2 bulb T12 fixtures....though it isnt anything really so i dont think pics should really go up of it :p

P1010001-5.jpg

P1010002-8.jpg

man!! I love how beautiful those plants look in the tank. Nothing beats sunlight. Hands down amazing!!

Amazing collection SK!

It turns out the lights in the 8 foot fixture were about to die, so i replaced them today, and DAMN are they bright.....
P1010006-7.jpg

P1010013-6.jpg

P1010014-8.jpg

Back