User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does distilled water work with Ultrasonic Humidifiers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My fogger has a replaceable disc in it. So if it stops working I can replace the disc to get it to run again! That might have been what happened to your humidifier Andrew. I have heard that if you don't clean them regularly they can burn out a lot. I have never cleaned my fogger and have not replaced a disc yet in 1 year. True RO water will always conduct an electrical current as it's not 100% pure (very close but not 100%). RO/DI (RO/de-ionized) water does not conduct.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Hmmm My guess is that sensor in the reservoir relies on an electrical current to sense when there is water. If the water is too pure, no completed circuit so you have a device that thinks there is no water in it. That being said, I used RO water in mine (walgreens thing) that had one of those sensors for years and it worked fine until about 3 weeks ago. I messed with it a bit and tossed it out. Now I wonder...... lol My ro water is generally around 10-15 ppm.
    Andrew
    This what my first thought as well. It does have a sensor with automatic shutoff if the water gets too low. I haven't looked too much into the mechanics of ultrasonic foggers so this was just a guess.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If a vacuum is being created by cavitation then in essence the water is being vacuum boiled. Some dissolved solids will come out of solution. A NaCl molecule has an atomic weight of 28 vs the 10 of an H20 molecule. Sodium alone weighs in at 11. Then there are other common dissolved solids such as calcium (atomic weight 20).

A major health problem with ultrasonic humidifiers is that some bacteria in the water also gets dispersed along with the water vapor. So some undissolved particles would also get dispersed.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird. I've used only distilled in my humidifier several times with no problems.

Kind of related note; I put my finger in the bubbling water above the disc. Hurt like hell.

Then on accident last week, during a refill, I placed the plastic tank cap down with part of it touching that bubbling watwr again. Afer refilling I noticed it and pulled the lid off, to find it had warped that part of the lid badly and left a burn mark. It smelked like burning plastic too. Those little discs pack a punch!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I have used nothing but RO water in ultrasonic humidifiers for years... day after day, year after year.

I believe it has two benefits,
    1. Longer humidifier life
    2. No white mineral deposits resulting from the mist (a common complaint with ultrasonic humidifier use)

The water level sensor is likely a capacitance water level sensor, they are common in industry
    http://www.physicsforums.com/archive...p/t-65437.html

just a lil side note... cavitation occurs anytime the absolute pressure drops below the vapor pressure of the liquid in question.
    this can occur because of a pressure drop or a temperature increase.

a boat prop cavities due to velocity (Bernoulli's principle, basically pressure is inversely proportional to velocity) when a person gets shot, the bullet causes cavitation damage due to the velocity. When you heat water the vapor pressure point rises until it is higher then the absolute pressure acting upon the container...

this is why you never restrict the flow of a pump on its inlet... the pressure drops and the system cavities, once the cavities reaches the high pressure side of the pump, the cavities collapse and intense heat is then generated

etc etc etc

test on tuesday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting post, I'm curious to see what happens when I receive mine, which I plan on using fine filtered rain or distilled water.

Av8tor1 - I remember you creating a post about getting sunpentowns su-2000 humidifier.... Did you ever end up with it??

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes and loveeeeeeeeeeeeee it

best ultrasonic ive ever used!!!!

I show this in class

When the water vaporizes its expands to 1700x its volume

this is a good one, you see the expansion of the vapor cavities, then their collapse and finally the resultant release of energy (secondary cavitation from the heat generation)

gotta love physics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha nice. reminds me of the discovery show Time Warp. Good to hear about the Sunpentown.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast