User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning on getting a 29 Gallon Terrarium but not sure of what I will do for lighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamer,
    You used to be able to get 2ft T12 twin tube strip lights at home depot who's housing was less than 4" wide - the bulbs stuck out a tad from the sides so there was enough room for 3 in a 12" space. You had to wire a power cord to the ballast in these models they weren't plug and play. I used them and ran 6 tubes over my old 29 gallon. However you are still spending quite a good deal on the lighting because each strip was $24.99 (whereas a 4 ft strip is $7.99) plus you have to buy two bulbs for each which again, non-standard size are higher than 4 footers and the power cords to wire them.

I've made a few frankenstein DIY projects myself such as a variable temp hot wax carving pen and home made piggy-back humidistat but I don't think I'd try to jeri-rig a power compact ballast. Maybe it would work, if you try it please make a post!

Veronis,
    You can use the PCs for anything you want but for HL plants you will really need to put the PCs behind glass (real or plexi-glass) as they do create some good radiant heat along with the intense lighting. I use them naked (no glass) over my Somalian plants and it gives them nice "tattoo" patterns and colors that generally happens only under real sun. But anyway, glass stops most of the rad heat but allows the light benefits. If you have a combination of glass between the bulb and plant and combined with fresh cool, moist air blowing into your enclosure you're all set for HL. I used them on my old one level HL setup and I will probably will be using the 96 W PC tubes in my new HL setup since the power cords are waterproof and I'm not positive about the "all weather" ability of T12 strips when the chamber is going to be bathed in fog off/on all day and night. I'll just have to build some reflector boxes to house the PC tubes in to move them behind glass cos there will be 2x pair hanging on shelves inside the humidified chamber and one pair on top illuminating the top shelf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it looks like I'll have to expand my budget a bit.

What do you guys think about this?:

http://bjsbestgrowhydro.com/Commerci...B002TJS8G8.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used the T5 systems so I can't offer any opinion on them. It looks like that kit comes with the bulbs (that's cool) but how much are the replacement tubes when you do have to buy them yourself? I couldn't find that size on the sellers shop, only 4 footers. Make sure you'll have a ready access to replacements from at least two sources for when that day finally comes.

They have T5 lamp setups at Lowes but I think they are different type of T5 compared with these.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are quite a few online retailers that sell Spectralux lamps, but there probably aren't any around town.

I actually tried all of the hardware stores, and none of them carry any Fluorescent lamps shorter than 4'. This includes Home Depot, Lowe's, and OSH. So regardless of what I get, I won't be able to get replacement lamps from anywhere except online. It's a shame as shipping is quite pricey.

I haven't tried any of the nurseries, though.

Edit- There are quite a few hydroponics stores around here the sell the bulbs. And for $3.00 at that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some updates on my Terrarium:

As you can see, space is limited where I wanted a Terrarium. I found that a 29 Gallon was perfect for the place I wanted to put it.

So far the only things I have are the 29 Gallon tank ($59), 5 3-inch-tall PVC pipes ($5), a digital Thermometer/Hygrometer that was meant for Cigar collections ($12), and a huge piece of plastic eggcrate intended for a lighting fixture ($10) which I will cut tomorrow and place on top of the PVC pipes.

Still waiting on my T5 2' 4-bulb ($120 including bulbs) to come in the mail, an electrical outlet timer ($12), and finally I need to get a glass piece cut into a 28 1/8" x 10" x 3/8" glass piece cut for the top (probably around $10 at Ace).

Total Terrarium cost comes out to $228. Much more than I intended to spend, especially on the lighting, but I think it will be well worth it in the long-run. I'll post more pictures once I get everything, including the lowlanders I'm putting in it, together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 29 gallon terrarium has killer dimensions. You'll probably want to suspend the t-5's high as you can.
    I was reading about people mounting their t-5's to the ceiling so they wouldn't be burning leaves.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got just enough room in between the top of the tank and the cupboard for the T5 fixture, so unfortunately I won't be able to lift it any higher. I hear a lot of people actually raise their plants up further to the lights because they don't get enough light. Not sure about T5's though. It will have 2x 5,000 Lumen bulbs and 2x 2,000 Lumen bulbs.

Also:

+Eggcrate

Due to the clearance on top, the eggcrate is 2 inches shorter than the depth of the tank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast