Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: higher speed fan solutions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on my online searches for wiring a PC fan, just a heads up for others who may do a similar search, most search returns are dope growing related! People living with their parents be forewarned! lol

Anyhow what I've found out is that any of you wanting to go this route with me using 12V PC fans you must wire them with a 120V > 12V converter or "wall wart" from the old style electronics. If you get a wall wart that has the switches on it you can control the speed! I will buy a wall wart tonight and fiddle around with a spare 12V I have and let you know if I wind up in the hospital or if those weed head electricians know what they're talking about...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on my online searches for wiring a PC fan, just a heads up for others who may do a similar search, most search returns are dope growing related! People living with their parents be forewarned! lol
    make fun of them all yah want but potheads can be creative lil buggers when i was reading up on hydroponics a couple years back i got on a pot forum, they had better info and data than the tomato growers

though the plants themselves may be different, most the growing techniques are interchangeable....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know, it's amazing the DIY & plant growing technology weed has engendered. I cover my CP & succulent grow shelf in panda film which I've only ever seen advertised in a particular plant magazine which has only one topic... an it's not succulents or Cps!

I just wanted to warn any 12 year olds who might be reading this thread and decide to run a search for info on it and then have their parents blow up at 'em for visiting a weed site. "Yeah right just so you can see how to wire up a fan for your plants!"

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Yup the dopers were right it does work!

I will make a photo tutorial on wiring it up later for the kiddies to see it here instead of elsewhere but I just tested it and it's awesome!

I picked up a 1.5V - 12 V Wall Wart with selector switches on the plug and now I have about six speeds I can run a 12V PC fan at. I'm ordering that 215 CFM PC fan right now! Oh yeah - wind tunnel!

Only problem is Wall Warts used to be under $10. Now it was $21 with tax!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey swords,

You can use any fan, but I'd recommend a purchase from newegg since the prices are generally very low and the amount of reviews/ratings on each product can really help to steer you in the right direction. Here are some top-selling 120mm (4.7 inch) fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...538&name=120mm if you want to cruise around.

This one is about the fastest you'll get, at 3000RPM, but it is very loud (linking in case you don't care about noise): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185054

Personally I recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835200028
    It's adjustable speed from 1200RPM (very quiet) to 2400RPM (kinda loud, but it will push air very well). And it's still cheaper than the one you posted originally. With this you can control exactly how much air it moves, which in turn will help you balance humidity, temp, and air flow.

As for how to wire them for use with a wall outlet, read this: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/vi...p=24474#p24474

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where were ya 10 minutes ago!? lol

Oh well, now I'll have up to gale force winds (hopefully).

I ordered this one:
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/97...?tl=g36c15s780

I'm hoping the 217 CFM fan will be a big help in summer when temps are high. With the selector switch onm the 12V adaptorI'll be able to go from a slight breeze to full blast. In winter I don't need the speed but in summer I have a feeling it will be a huge help having that much flow available.

I had to order a new selectable wall wart to hijack too cos the Delta mega fan takes 2.7A to run whereas the wall wart I bought tonight is only enough to run this spare 0.24A fan I'm experimenting with. The 12V 300mA wall wart at radio shack was $21 and a 12V 3A one was $6.99 off ebay... something is amiss here!

That's a nice tutorial you've got there, I just hard wired mine to the Wall Wart using wire connector caps. I didn't bother using the plug receptacle thingies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol - I was at Best Buy.

Ah well. Glad you got it set up.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is enough .....
    I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you want a powerful computer fan, then look at the delta brand of fans, they were really popular with overclockers back in the day and a 80mm(standard case) fan pushed around 75 cu. ft./min of air. though a little loud, definitely not at hair dryer levels.

~billy

edit: should've looked at the links before posting, doh...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123