Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I am wanting to start my first grow rack. How long are most T5's, and how many do you use per shelf and how many per lamp? I am hoping to get T5 since they last longer then T8s. How much do fixtures and bulbs cost?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Hi, I am wanting to start my first grow rack. How long are most T5's, and how many do you use per shelf and how many per lamp? I am hoping to get T5 since they last longer then T8s. How much do fixtures and bulbs cost?
    2 Feet or 4 Feet

Price varies widely.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    I thought that contractorlighting only had 4100k and 5000k - I'll have to check again later. Any links to that eBay listing? I've been looking for days but they're really hard to find amongst all the other bulbs and fixtures. I can't seem to find a reliable search keyword for them.
    Also, can anyone recommend a method for making a semi-scientific comparison between my old lights and new ones? I'm going to ask around the labs at school but I've been given some hilariously bad advice from those folks in the past.
    Thanks again.
    ~Joe
    Joe, you may be right... actually I prefer the 5000k. My favorite research sources indicate that 5000k bulbs come in highest as far as PAR values are concerned

But anything in the range of 4100k to 6500k would be good IMHO, During the day, natural sun light goes through this range with 5000k being "noon"

Some research suggest that a mix of 3000k and 6500k basically equals 4100k

All depends on the source of the data, what you to watch out for is broad claims, different bulbs with different phosphors, different CRI's, tri or halo phosphor etc etc etc will have different characteristics

statements like "Get 6500k, or get 5000k"... is like saying get a chevy or ford, but without the model or year... you really dont know exactly what you are getting... but it will probably get ya home.

I like to use spectrometers, here are my bulbs

sorry for the crappy image quality, shot those freehand just now...so meh

As you can see these are classic tri-phosphors (the 85cri also gives that away)
    Im getting primary spikes at
    435nm, 545nm and 610nm with secondary wavelengths primarily in the reds and blues

across the pond you can get the triphosphor sylvania gro-lux in 54w T5, now that would be the bomb!!!!!! they have a beautiful spectra

(Ive emailed sylvania more then once..... waiting patiently LOL)

Spectrometers are cool and you can roll youre own using a cdrom and cereal box
    http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/l...ctroscope.html

I usually search for "t5 54w" and include descriptions in the search params

oh and here is the one i was thinking of

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-9-GE-54W-...item414a285855

Ant, I like contractorlighting.com... they have good fixtures at a good price and have served me well... there are many options, but watch out... some "deals" are pure junk

HTH's
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RL7836: they are 3 foot long or 36 inches.
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Ant, I like contractorlighting.com... they have good fixtures at a good price and have served me well... there are many options, but watch out... some "deals" are pure junk.
    Thank you for the site, what fixture on the site do you use? Also do the fixtures come with or without lights good for growing cps?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the site, what fixture on the site do you use? Also do the fixtures come with or without lights good for growing cps?
    Ant,

I have both the 4 bulb and 6 bulb fixtures

http://www.contractorlighting.com/hi...277-p-152.html

http://www.contractorlighting.com/hi...277-p-153.html

The 4 bulb isnt in use at the moment

as far as bulbs go, that is what this whole thread has been about...the majority of research has been done by the freshwater planted aquarium hobbyist.

It is commonly accepted that the GE starcoat is the best "standard" bulb availabe to the USA market. There are specialty bulbs out there, ranging from good to bad...
    Usually if you will google the bulb name and the word photosynthesis in the same search you will get some hits

Not really a black and white answer but.... stay with a major brand, stay with 4100k-6500k and you will be ok

In the future look for more options to become available as the T5 becomes more widely accepted.

It is a great format that will be king till they eventually get replaced by economical wide spectrum white LED's (guessing 5-10 yrs away)

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    It is a great format that will be king till they eventually get replaced by economical wide spectrum white LED's (guessing 5-10 yrs away)
    Any idea how the 'good'** white LED's play out with your spectrometer?

** - I'm assuming 'good' to be something comparable to premium Cree chips or comparable - not the normal run-of-the-mill garbage...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast