User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone used Pond Shield on a wooden terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, Orchids Ltd sells the Orchidariums but IIRC the 48" model is just under $1200... lol A rather silly price I think. I don't actually know if they are waterproof in the bottom or not.

edit, just looked it up: $2400...
    http://www.orchidweb.com/orcdrium.aspx

Any of you ever try cutting the plastic rims and front glass pane off a store bought tank? I don't mean trying to cut a hole out of the front glass but removing it completely at the join.

There is a discussion on Dendroboard about someone doing it.

I have a variable temperature toy wax carving pen that I modded out of a wood burner (saving myself some $400 on that little hobby) but one tip I have holds a scalpel blade which heats up to any temp I want using a room light dimmer dial. I could heat up a new scalpel blade and slice right through the silicone I should think. Supposedly a heat gun makes the plastic rims let go quite easily and I have two heat guns for double handed open air baking action on giant sculpey statues that won't fit in my oven. In theory I can just scrape off the old silicone clean with alcohol or naptha and reattach a lower pane with new silicone about 8-10" high for the water/soil section and have a 6-8" top brace piece cut and then glue in my sliding door track, glue down a custom lid and perhaps there we'd go.

I could get a big tank out of the town paper for cheap under $250 in the thrifties section and work it over. Cutting off the front glass and extending the top if it wasn't at least 3 ft high. I think the size I want is considered a 225 G cube but I don't want that nasty front glass but if I can slice it off I know of a fish shop where I can buy the exact tank and I think they even deliver...

I suppose practicing this maneuver on a $10, 10 gallon tank from petsmart next time I get crickets would probably be prudent as a trial run before ruining a big expensive tank! lol

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That should work perfectly. I refurbished a leaky aquarium and had to take the panes apart to do it. We just poured hot water over it and used a fine-gauge wire clay cutter to saw it apart. It was a pain to do it that way but it worked.
    If you buy a used one, I would suggest taking it apart completely and cleaning all the panes before you put it back together. I think there are a few DIY instructions on Dendroboard or CPUK about cutting and assembling a terrarium from scratch - that might be a helpful read.
    Take pictures and let us know how it turns out.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't be so bad if I had another pair of hands to help with the big glass panes (I'd just have some glass cut and not pay for a pre-built tank). Darryl's "How to Build a European Vivarium" on Dendroboard is an awesome read and is what I would follow if I had someone to assist me in constructing a huge display tank based on a similar design. But if it's sides are already together and I just have to swap the front out that should be easy enough. I'm definitely going to experiment with this idea on a small/cheap tank first.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woo, that's a nice how-to. The pictures remind me of LEGO instructions.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he said he used Google's Sketch Up 3D program for it. That's one thing I hate about Photoshop you can't do basic diagrams easily, you have to buy illustrator for that. Only another $700....

Since I've swapped OS maybe I can install my old diagram drawing program which wouldn't work on the 64 bit. It's not as fancy as that but works for drawing head on sketches. I think I'll look into it as I always like to draw up my plans before I start building something.

---------- Post added at 05:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

I just ordered some 1/8" sliding door track and plastic molded edging from Outwater Plastics. There's a 12 ft minimum but I bought 24 feet of each. What the heck I'll never need to order either again! lol

1/8" Sliding door track. See Product #180:
    http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/lg_d...master/page/27

And this angled edging for where the doors will "park" at the ends of the tank and such. See Product #1933:
    http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/lg_d...master/page/57

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get Adobe Creative Suite for like $200 if you know someone at a college - it's become a hideously bloated software package in recent years but it's got just about everything you could possibly need or want. (I suspect if you spent a couple of weeks alone with Flash and an Actionscript book we might lose you forever.)
    I used to have a nice free program I used for diagrams but now I can't remember what it was. Ray Dream was nice when it was still in active development, but it also cost like $600.
    I'm not sure I understand the angled moulding. Is that a cross-section in the pictures? I don't get how you could get a thousand feet of corners. If that is the cross-section shown, I'm still not sure I understand what they would be used for. Especially the ones that aren't at right angles.
    ~Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My cousin had to drop out of college. She got her dorm and school loan all sorted out and then a week or two into the start of this year the college gave her a letter saying "we screwed up you owe another $6000 for the 2009/2010 year" so she left. She's going to start EMT training now instead. I could have had her order me all sorts of good stuff at realistic prices, art and music software.... Everyone sells cheaper for students.

Yeah almost everything Outwater shows there is in cross section. They're showing you what angles the stuff is. The "L" angled plastic molding is a long right angled strip of plastic 1/2" x 1/2". I'm going to use it for where the doors meet the ends of the tank, they will run up the sides of the door opening curving over the opening. They will keep the doors from sliding past the ends of the tank and off the track. It will also keep you from cutting your arm and knuckles on the glass ends of the tank when reaching into it.

The "L" may or may not be "necessary" but it will hopefully make the finished product look professional and safer to fiddle around in. I have a feeling my hands will be in there a lot! With my anoles current viv I have to get a stepladder to be able to reach down into it and mess around so that's a huge hassle eliminated. I'm gonna convert her old 56G cube tank into a sliding front too once I get the test 10 gallon converted (that will be her "hotel" until I get her tank front changed over).

As far as some of their other crazy shaped moldings, I have no idea what they're used for! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12