Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Highland Nep. Cooling Methods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not currently growing highland Neps but will begin collecting some old favorite HL plants again in spring. I will be utilizing the same method I did before which is pulling cool air from the window (or from a window air conditioner if it's hot at night in summer) through a duct where the output of an ultrasonic humidifier from the pharmacy intersects the incoming air in the duct, and saturates it. This blows a foggy wind into the growing chamber - it's fun to watch the clouds swirl around the plants too! With this setup the plants are receiving fresh cool moist air day and night, I leave the fan and fogger running 24/7/365. The humidifier is attached to a humidistat which shuts off the humidifier when the chamber reaches 80% or so, just before the plants get wet as leaving it run continually leads to fungus, leaves discoloring & spotting. The fan is always running though. Air air air!

Here is a pic which sort of shows what I'm talking about:

Currently there is no humidifier attached as 75% of the plants on the 3 shelf unit are succulents who enjoy much the same temperatures as HL Neps just not the humidity. The other plants are various carnivores in covered tubs.

The vent is powered by a 65 CFM PC fan, mounted to a duct collar (the flat metal piece) & duct starter (a round tube which joins the collar to the actual duct). the air is blown through 4" diameter flexible aluminum dryer vent hose. At each black taped junction there is a "T" which allows some of the incoming air out onto that shelf. Top shelf gets the most air flow and is the coolest during the lights on hours. This can be altered by putting adjustable grilles on the vent outlet and playing with the settings allowing more or less airflow on each shelf. All shelves are currently 54*F tonight but the window is not open very much, about 1/2" and it's 42*F outside. I could make it colder by opening the window more. In hard winter I close the window completely and the fan simply pulls the air from the surface of the window which is cold enough to drop the grow chamber all the way to 40*F.

I think most people get OUTSIDE night temps at least cool enough for highlanders, many places can get too cold or dry to allow them to be fully outside. However, if they rig up something like this that brings in some of that cool night air, humidifies it and delivers it into their growing space they ought to have really no problems at all getting the correct temps & humidity.

When I rebuild this shelf specifically for highlanders I'll take pics, make a new topic and show a bit more details but that's really the gist of my method, bring the outdoors indoors! I live in a condo on the second floor, my house is always 75*F+ but I can drop the temps down for the plants simple as pie with this rig. If there were a way to make this setup more aesthetically pleasing it would be great. Ideally I'd love one that ran all 12 lamps, the fan and humidifier system all with one power cord!

But as long as it does it's job, which it does, I'm a happy guy. I got a new PC fan for the duct which goes up all the way up to 217 CFM ( I wanna see about running with high winds in the summer months) but I have to find a power supply that can run it first! 12V 3.5A ! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    swords: I ran tubing like that into a smaller indoor terrarium I had built, had the tubing hooked up to a window AC unit, i would get nighttime temps down to 50 with it, however.... you lose your humidity level... i had worked up some creative ways around it..

just thought i'd throw that in there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hook the duct up to the front of an AC at night from about mid-june -sept to get the night time temps.

If you'll notice I mentioned that I did not have an ultrasonic humidifier and humidistat hooked up in the picture but do use the two when I am growing Neps so that you get cool air & fog (fog=humdiity). No loss of humidity. Infact you'll have too much humidity unless you set up a humidistat to turn it on and off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built an elaborate tank using a minifridge and a waterfall that circulates through the minifridge. At best it only lowers the tbs about 8 degrees F.

Move to San Francisco... seriously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    I built an elaborate tank using a minifridge and a waterfall that circulates through the minifridge. At best it only lowers the tbs about 8 degrees F.

Move to San Francisco... seriously.

which is why i will use a decent sized freezer, antifreeze and copper tubing i get a 15-20 degree drop now without outside help....hoping to drop it another 10 degrees.....that will put me in the mid to low 50's.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 5' x 5' indoor greenhouse. I have that inside a spare bedroom. It can get warm inside the greenhouse with the flourescents on, so I have to cool it somehow. In the winter, I keep the room cool by opening the window. Lately it drops in the low 50's upper 40's at night, 70's in the day. These are temps inside the enclosed greenhouse, the room itself is cooler. In the summer, I have to use a portable A/C. This keeps the day temps to about 78F in the summer, 61F at night. If I wasn't able to cool the room itself, it would definitely complicate things greatly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thank you!

To those of you who actually read my post and understood my request,
    thank you VERY much for your input.
    (Especially Joe & Swords, and also cmm899, Jefforever & rattler)
    You have given me some "food for thought".
    I know many people who don't want to share their "secret ideas" as it puts them ahead
    of those who are trying hard to create an ideal environment for their plants.
    And so those of you who have contributed, I do appreciate your
    input.

It is easy to grow great highland plants when one has the environment naturally,
    but I do admire and respect those people who have actually created the ideal environment
    on their own. That is where the real work is, and I (and I am sure others) appreciate
    your sharing your ideas.
    I hope to someday make it possible for anyone to grow highland plants easily,
    and it is input like this that will make that a reality.

Like I said, you have indeed given me some things to think about.
    Thank you
    and Good Growing!

Paul
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my "secret" right now is i live in the frozen north and grow the plants in the basement....have, normally, 3 months out of the year that are to warm for highlanders, where though there is normally a drop in night time temps it isnt guaranteed and we can see 110* highs...however most of our fall winter and spring is way to cold...

also we sleep in the basement and like to sleep in a cool room with lots of covers so even though the furnace is going and the upstairs stays a stable 70* we crack the window at night and the basement is usually bout 60 or so when we wake up in the morning, day temps between the lights and the fact the window is closed my grow room gets to 80 or 85.....but none of this is constant and temps vary a bit depending on alot of factors from day to day....my plan is to make a more stabilized environment using a freezer and a heat sink in a large nearly completely enclosed and insulated grow chamber....

truely my biggest hurdle is between living in a place that naturally low humidity and having central air in the house, trying to keep the humidity up is a constant struggle.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast