Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Highland Nep. Cooling Methods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Power Cord Options

Hey Swords,
    For power cords, you may look for something like one of these (I saw these on ebay). I assume the size of these is not the best, but it is something you may want to keep an eye out for (or build if you are handy). I have seen a few styles of these, but I didn't pay attention to the size or how many outlets. I thought one I saw at a hardware/junk outlet-store had power outlets every 4 feet, which would have been better for what you need, but that was a few years ago.
    I myself have a multi-cord extension... a plug in cord with 5 cords coming out of it. The cords aren't very long however.

http://cgi.ebay.com/25-Foot-Multi-Ou...item3ca75e4e00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Good-Tidings-6-D...item5d2700760b

http://cgi.ebay.com/50Ft-12-3-Multi-...%3D5%26ps%3D63

http://cgi.ebay.com/multi-outlet-ext...item20ae28c7d1

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-25-Foo...item3c9f580c15

I usually either hack up an extension cord and customize it to fit my needs, or just bundle the cords with some extra black-insulated solid core house wiring (I bend the ends over so it isn't sharp), and wrap the wire around the power cords a few times [so it looks like a spring!], and do this in different spots along the power cords. The excess cording I bundle and hide underneath or behind things.

They do sell flexible tubing for this purpose, which has a cut all the way down it to make putting the cords in and having single cords run out of the tube where needed, however these tubes are expensive and don't work well with a lot of cords. They are mostly for a few small cords behind a TV or stereo.

Thanks again for your input on the cooling situation. I do have a few things I am using currently, however it all has problems and needs improving. Every bit of advice seems to trigger new ideas and reveals problems others are having, which in time will lead to new solutions!

Take care & Keep on Growin'.
    Paul.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are OK but I mean, just one plug coming out of a junction box on the side of the chamber -like everything wired to a small circuit breaker to replace this cord hell:

There is a power strip with 6 more cords you can't even see from this angle!

If anything I described isn't clear just ask, I don't get off feeling superior by hiding anything. My setup essentially cools like a greenhouse does by pushing humidified outside air into the growing area but the growing area is indoors and so uses fluorescents instead of sunlight. Keeping day temps cool (below 80*F was best for my old HL Neps and I go for the same for my succulents) is just as important as cool nights. If the air is continually moving and fresh it's hard to wind up with too much heat even in "daylight".

The fact people want a completely sealed system worries me a bit because I think the fresh air hardens plants. Despite the high RH% humidity the leaves on my plants were not not soft and supple like plants grown in a traditional closed terrarium but firm and compact. The air flow also helps stave off excess moisture. I'm 30 mi. outside of Minneapolis, MN so your temps in IL should be quite similar maybe just not the drastic lows we get sometimes. In summer heat just hang the an over the output of a window air conditioner instead of in the window and you're all setup for summer, by making one move. The first summer I had them I put my AC on a timer to just come on at night but leaving it run 24/7 in summer was better since the high day temps wipe out older pitchers, if you retain cool temps some HL pitchers will last up to a year or more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a chiller and a cpu radiator. I can get to 12C at night, and probably lower but I haven't tried since that's pretty low already. I have a circuit that toggles the cpu fan in the day so that the temps hover around 23-24C. Without the cooling, the tank gets to 30C in the day, and room temp at night. I plan to expand the system with another radiator and another fishtank, which is just a simple process of connecting it with the chilled water tube. The downside of the whole thing is the price, chillers can get pretty expensive.

I had some bad experiences with mini fridges. The condensation dripped everywhere, the cooling was very ineffective, and I don't think the fridge would last too long since it wasn't made to run like that.

Remember it is important that your cooling system doesn't fail. My plants would be toasted if my chiller blew a fuse (which it did once, luckily i caught it early). After my exams, I will add a bunch of relays that shuts down the lights and sounds an alarm in case the chiller stops working.

Radiator

The chiller and a bucket to catch condensation

Control unit (not too involved with cooling)

EDIT: after reading the above post, I'll add that I made my system completely sealed since I didn't want to lose any humidity or cool air to my room. Just a different approach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup I believe in the winds! lol

Love the whole digital switchboard thing! Like a mad science experiment!

Do you have an internal circulation fan in your grow space just to stir it up at least?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there is a large fan attached to the radiator (from behind, so its not shown in the picture). It is the same fan that I toggle to control the temperatures. It has the added bonus of moving humidified air around the tank to avoid stagnation.

The circuit also controls a system to fill the humidifier and water my plants. There are water level sensors and humidity sensors that detect when things need to be turned on. Unfortunately, the watering pump broke (turns out it wasn't submersible). I'm waiting on a new one, but again all of this needs to wait a few weeks when I'll have more time :P .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact people want a completely sealed system worries me a bit because I think the fresh air hardens plants. Despite the high RH% humidity the leaves on my plants were not not soft and supple like plants grown in a traditional closed terrarium but firm and compact.
    gotta figure though swords, you live some place with decent humidity......i dont, once you start hitting -10 and lower there really isnt much humidity in the air around here.......hell unless its raining around here the humidity stays pretty low naturally in the spring, even in my basement......when i get my chamber built it wont be completely sealed cause i aint shooting for 100% but its gonna need to be mostly sealed to keep it at 75-80%
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The humidity of my unadulterated incoming air is only 20% for most of the year, that's why I use the ultrasonic humidifier/humidistat set to 80% plugged onto the air vent for the incoming fresh air to make it HL Nep appropriate. If I don't plug on the humidity input all the lids on the Neps will close and that's it for those pitchers.

In the early stages of my design (2001-2002) I had two inputs, one for humidifier input and one for fresh air but it didn't work to have them mix inside the growing area, it had to be mixed in the duct before it reached the plants.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really? woulda figured higher than that as im always miserable when i head over your direction....28 years of living on the high plains, i dont tolerate humidity all that well
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast