Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Highland Nep. Cooling Methods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll: Highland Nep. Cooling Methods

Hello,
    I know this subject has been repeated a number of times, and I looked thru many of the older posts concerning this. (Older being the keyword!)

I am wondering what method of cooling people are using. Those of you who are lucky enough to live in a climate where outside growing of highlanders is easy, need not respond. I am interested in those people using artificial cooling methods, and how they like their system.

I am not looking for "ideas" right now, of what "might" work or what would be a "cool" method to try... I simply want to hear from people running highland setups NOW, and what you like about it and what you don't!

I have heard about people running AC cooling, but I wonder how low of temps you can get out of an AC unit? Below 50 degrees? Also, is condensation a problem? Water running off of copper tubes possibly becomes polluted I am assuming... from the copper?

And for those using a modified Refrigerator/freezer... do you have any problems from running it for long periods of time? (An AC unit is built to run long periods of time, but a freezer tends to run for short periods of time and cycle on and off, as the insulation does its work holding out the heat.)

No matter what system you are using, I would love to hear what you like about it, and what you don't. Also, any problems you may have, and how you might improve your system? It is from you current users I want to hear from, and hear your ideas about cooling and humidity, etc. and how it is working out for you.
    Well, any comments would be greatly appreciated. Again, I am wanting to hear from those of you who have a system going now. I want to hear about your experience with it.

Thanks in advance to those of you willing to take the time to share a bit of your expertise.

Paul
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conditions vary too much around here to make outdoor growing worthwhile, in my opinion. When I previously grew my highlanders in a terrarium, I used evaporative cooling near the top where the heat from the light boxed up (the lights were inside the enclosure) and a combination of an ultrasonic humidifier and passive ducts to cool and moisten dry air from outside the tank. The house is just about cool enough to grow Neps on it's own, but I had them all in the same room as my computer, which stays warmer at night than the rest. (And I didn't know I could take them out of the terrarium at the time.) The passive airflow was great - you just need one outlet where the air is turbulent, and an inlet where the air is still or denser. It's not that dramatic but I noticed a difference in performance afterwards. Not sure whether it was the lower maximum temperature or the lower general nighttime average, but it was certainly an improvement over having my plants boxed into an eight cubic foot space with two Fluorex lamps and no air circulation.
    Of course, mine is a best-case scenario, and not probably one you want to rely on heavily for your end product. But passive airflow is always free after you design it into the rig. I think it could be worthwhile as a failsafe feature.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Northern California, nighttime temperatures are almost always in the favorable range for highland and ultra-highland Nepenthes. Mine remain outside on a deck.

Like many others here, I have neither the time or inclination to establish a cooled highland terrarium -- though I do have a few designs in mind . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Mississippi, and I grow mine as house plants. This is the highlands that I have -
    N. Densiflora
    N. Diatas
    N. Eymae
    N. Izumiae
    N. Petiolata
    N. Ramispina
    N. Sibuyanensis
    N. Truncata (King of Spades x Queen of Hearts)
    N. Muluensis x Lowii
    N. Spectabilis x talangensis
    N. Sibuyanensis x Ventricosa
    N. Ventricosa
    N. Sanguinea

I keep my thermostat on 70 during the summer and 65 at night. I like it cool. During the winter I try not to run the heat - I run it as little as possible - and it stays around 65 in here. I realize that most people probably keep their houses hotter than this, but I can't stand being hot.

Anyway, I have them on shelves with grow lights. That's it! Nothing else. They are all doing great.

I have my lowlands in a 4-tier grow chamber which makes it about 10 degrees hotter and more humid than my room temps, and they are doing great as well. I put the lowlands outside during the summer, but so far I haven't loved my highlands outside during the winters because it is so variable here. It will get into the teens occasionally, but it will do that and then 2 days later be back in the 70s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    In Northern California, nighttime temperatures are almost always in the favorable range for highland and ultra-highland Nepenthes. Mine remain outside on a deck.

Like many others here, I have neither the time or inclination to establish a cooled highland terrarium -- though I do have a few designs in mind . . .
    Hiya BigBella-

May I ask, what happens during the summer?

And for someone like me who lives in the NW with a USDA hardness of 8b, would I be able to keep highliands and even a N. villosa outdoors (probably not the villso during the summers) year long (just bringing them indoors when it snows)?

E

D'OH, sorry Paul, didn't mean to hijack your topic.

BIGBELLA, if you could reply in a PM that'd be cool . . . thanks
    "My Greatest Fear Is, When I Die, The Missus Will Sell All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Got It For"

I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    What are your average lows in the winter? I'm in SJ, and it can occasionally get into the 30's. D'you think I can move some highlanders outside?

Entwadumela, the temperatures usually cool down each day in the summer. During a heat wave it may only cool to the 80's, but it rarely lasts longer than a week.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
    What are your average lows in the winter? I'm in SJ, and it can occasionally get into the 30's. D'you think I can move some highlanders outside?
    It generally falls into the high thirties, low forties -- perfect for highland Nepenthes and Heliamphora . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally my summer temperatures here are perfect for highland/ultrahighland Nepenthes....
    Days averaging in the 80s and nights in the low 40s to low 50s.
    There are a couple days in the year where it hits over 100F outside.....my plants did not suffer from it during this last year, in my greenhouse none the less.....i just sprayed the inside and outside of the greenhouse down with our hose and ran a fan inside for evaporative cooling....
    Gotta love having soft tap water, soft enough to water these plants too...havent had an issue yet **knocks on wood**

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast