What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AHA! PVC Trimboard + pond liner Vivarium

Now here's a great looking plan!

This dude on the frog board has been using some wood from Lowes called PVC Trim Board which is boards made entirely from PVC plastic. Then he seals the interior seams with with silicone and then installs a pond liner for sealing the bottom. He even puts a drain bulkhead in the bottom (I would not try that). But this might answer my question of how to make a large custom sealed vivarium/grow chamber/etc without using all glass and also not messing with "non-toxic" but still toxic (?) epoxies and sealers and such. Here's links to his 3 projects using the stuff:

INDOOR PVC TRIM BOARD GREENHOUSE (huge post)

PVC TRIM BOARD VIVARIUM

3UP PVC TRIMBOARD FROG DISPLAY

Happy reading DIYers! :)

---------- Post added at 02:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

No Lowes in MN carries it! :(

However there is a building supplier who does have it, hopefully they'll do retail.

I found the manufacturers site, they even sell the stuff in 4 x 8 sheets! Oh yeah! :)

http://www.versatex.com

That looks intense.

Good luck swords! If you really do it, take pics of your progress and spam us with em. Would love to follow this.

PVC trim board has saved many a sensitive gel-coat hull at some of my favorite sailing haunts. It IS great stuff! And another hoo-ray for recycling!

Well I found PVC Trimboard today at the farm store but it was crazy expensive. I thought farmers were supposed to be poor...

1 (one) 5.5" wide x 5/8" thick x 8' FT long plank was $23.95! I'll need at least 5 planks for one vivarium. Plus the tub surround to put inside the PVC plank frames to create waterproof walls and waterproof floor.

That frog board guy must be getting the PVC trimboard cheaper cos his second build is essentially the size I wanna do and he said that was only $50 in materials. Just the trimboard alone would be almost $125 here...

But now that I know they have the stuff in 4 ft x 8 ft sheet in 1" thickness I want some of that more than the planks, way less monkeying around to get my structure up. The farm store didn't have the huge sheets though they did have corrugated polycarbonate sheets 4 ft x 4 ft for $9 but it's very flimsy.

But this might answer my question of how to make a large custom sealed vivarium/grow chamber/etc without using all glass and also not messing with "non-toxic" but still toxic (?) epoxies and sealers and such.

have you looked at the fish aquarium silicone? i imagine that stuff would be less toxic compared to the regular tube stuff.

~billy

I'd probably need a lot to coat the inside of a 32 cu. ft grow chamber though... :D

Back