Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquarium to Vivarium Mod Project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, my exciting heavy metal posters are all rolled up in a a big box that I'm not yet ready to throw out or put on ebay most of 'em are collectors items these days!

The hole is for power and water hose access so I can hide a misting pump and water bin down there.

Links and product numbers to buying the two types of plastic track are in my last post above.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, the bin... I remember your earlier description now.
    Hurry up and finish it so we can see pictures.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to get the glass for the doors and a thick plexiglass sheet (so it can easily be drilled) for the top on Saturday and probably assemble the lighting canopy and maybe the false bottom. But that's where it'll stop until I get some more driftwood I only have one piece and I want lots of branches that I can mount to the walls with the Good Stuff spray insulation foam. I know I'll come home from the orchid show in January needing someplace to put the new plants so it can serve as a waiting room til I get all the wood I need for the landscaping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "So it is done..."

Front

from the rear corner. Gap can be closed as needed with 1 " and 2" strips of plexiglass and mesh screen if the tank becomes a home to more than just plants. I haven't affixed the lid yet since I need to drill the holes for the misting system and I don't know what size they need to be so I'm gonna wait until I receive it to drill the holes and glue it down.

Since someone asked, here is a close up view of how the sliding glass track and the vertical "garage" track look where they meet. The "garage" is made from the excess lengths of the same L profile that the sliding track was glued to before being mounted to the top and bottom braces then the "garages" are mounted over those.

This was an easy project and gave me just what I've always wanted. It's a shame more people don't know about how easy this is to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the last photo i can see how this would work very well for the sliding door , I'll be redoing my front doors after Christmas is over need more funds to buy a temporary, place for my plants, for a few days.
    Thank you swords this has been most helpful to me hope everyone else gets as many ideas as i have .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was changing guitar strings recently and thought i'd try using the discarded strings as a method of breaking the seal between two sealed panes on an aquarium...i wrapped each end around a piece of wood and was able to cut the seal pretty easy, 'sawing' up and down, and pulling along the length of each glass panel. the e and b strings worked best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool idea!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed with how clean it works, I guess it just takes a little elbow grease. Have you made any terrariums with all custom cut pieces? I would think in some cases(depending on dimensions) it would be cheaper. Last time I tried making my own the outcome was very messy. I'm sure with some patience a custom tank could be awesome. Great tutorial. Woot!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast