Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: what light and where to get it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this company has several options, havent shopped much yeat so not sure they're the best price out there. but they have several i would consider , look under lighting systems , under the aquarium heading .
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/cat/...3/category.web

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

i like this one any thoughts ?
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/7762/product.web
    Last edited by uphwiz; 12-19-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: wrong ulr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DaJimmer,
    The Hydrofarm fixtures are nice, the retro kit is way cheaper, that setup with the bulb was only $59 (including shipping) and the replacement bulb is $30-$40 depending where you get it. The prebuilt fully enclosed unit was I think either $80 or $120 - I can't remember. Same lamp and all but that's what you get when you buy prebuilt.

On the retro you just have to screw the socket to the rather crappy reflector. I'm gonna attach it to some angled metal flashing instead when I build my next vivarium, I'm not using that dinky reflector. Then you just have to attach it to the hanging hooks or attach it inside a lighting canopy (which is what I'm gonna do). They have a good reach of 24-36" if you have a deep tank there's not a lot of bulbs that are effective for distance. They're also nice cos they aren't hot. Even without a fan running the 37 Gal vivarium is only 81*F when the light in on all day. I'm sure in summer it will be a bit higher but I'm afraid of using HO T5s because of the heat issue.

Jimmy,
    For any lamp buying I suggest scouring ebays Hydroponics listings which is where they stash the grow lights. Lots of good deals to be found there!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks swords, ive started my next terrarium its to be my first lowlander, so im considering lighting options first, It's going to be some what like the one you just finished, and the lighting will probably sit on top , I plan to display this one in the living room so I do want it to look nice.
    I'm fairly crafty but not sure i can do the lighting build , a little shy of messing with wiring and such.
    did you notice the fixture i liked from the ulr on my last post, has two bulbs included is that realy all that bad of a price, and no building.
    The bulbs included. are T5 10000k daylight, and an T5 Actinic bulb , ( what is actinic, and aren't these bulbs good for plants or terrariums?)
    Maybe i'll give the retro fit build a try, could you do one of your nice demos, like the vivarium build you just finished for us here , that aren't as crafty as you?

Thank You Swords for watching out for all of us here, its good to come here before starting new projects, your input is most helpful, I just ordered some of the e track you suggested, so im going to use the lowlander terr. for a few days , and re do my highlander front to sliding doors, with out the wide track at the top and bottom,,see ,
    it's hard to see in with that large track at the top and bottom , your way is much much better.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy conner View Post
    what is actinic, and aren't these bulbs good for plants or terrariums?
    I've wondered that for the longest time. Apparently, they're lights on the high end of the spectrum (usually UV/blue sometimes down to green) that were originally used for photography. Actinic meant that the light could be used to expose photographic plates. These days it doesn't mean as much, because more sensitive films have been developed that will also expose under red or yellow light, but the name is still generally used for bulbs that are rich in high-frequency light. They're used by reef and aquatic plant enthusiasts because the light is good for penetrating water depth and includes a lot of UV, which is useful for coral and aquatics. Hooray for Wikipedia!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    typical actnic spectra:

pretty much void of any red spectra
    Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bought my used dual 400W Metal Halide the guy was using it for a reef tank and he sent the bulb along with it so I could test it out right away. The bulb was a 10,000K actinic bulb and I may as well have been using a blacklight, it was really dim. I know my eyes aren't the same as plants photoreceptors but just on looks alone I wasn't thrilled. It might be fine as supplementary for plants but I wouldn't use it as primary plant lighting.

Once I replaced the actinic MH with a 5000k or 6500K MH bulb in it was enough to light the living room and dining room from the bleed off from the lowland chamber! lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123