What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

critters in my greenhouse

well, I have black widow spiders like crazy in my greenhouses, and today I saw the shed skin of a snake in there as well. I haven't seen the snake yet, but now I'm afraid to reach my hand in my plants to trim them or repot them! I don't use any chemicals on my plants except occasionally Neem oil if I need to kill some aphids, so what can I do to get rid of these unwanted pests? I don't mind all the frogs and lizards, but something poisonous - no way.

Well, I think frogs and lizards are probably your best defense against things like spiders, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were what was attracting the snakes too. Tough break - you're really between a rock and a hard place. A pet mongoose is out of the question, I take it?
I've built habitat gardens for people before to attract snakes; around here they're great for controlling rodents and such. (And for mosquitos, dragonfly gardens - much more beautiful than bug zappers.) Maybe you could do some research on local snake species (or whatever the skin came from, if you can ID it) and build an inviting trap so you could remove them? Or, if you can find a safe snake that occupies a similar niche to poisonous varieties, you might be able to squeeze the undesired one out by introducing a territory competitor.
I'm guessing you've come to terms with the black widows, but the same principle applies; if you can find a predator species, build a little habitat and invite them into your greenhouse as a control. There's always the vacuum-cleaner method, too, but you might want to rig some sort of special attachment so as to not rough up your plants too much.
~Joe

the spiders actually bother me more than the snake (unless the snake turns out to be a rattler). The skin was small, so its a baby. I'm used to things like this making homes in the greenhouses during the winter because its warm. I haven't got bitten yet, but they have landed on my hands, and they are supposed to be extremely poisonous. I really enjoy the frogs and lizards being in there. These spiders are too big (and poisonous) to be eaten by a frog or lizard though.

Move up north. We don't have critters!

speak for yourself Jim, we got rattlers and black widows here :D

He is mistaken, we have venomous snakes like rattlers and black widows here too.

but unlike you im less than 60 miles from the Canuck border........have to say though my wife hates the cold she refuses to move to a warmer state cause the bugs are to big :D

There aren't too many poisonous things out in these parts, but there are a few nasty spiders and I certainly wouldn't want to encounter them. And a little ways east, there are scorpions, which aren't exactly deadly but they hurt like crazy.
~Joe

Rose oil
Citronella Oil
Lavender Oil
Cinnamon Oil
Peppermint Oil
Citrus Oil
Tea Tree Oil
and baking soda

or any combo of these and sprinkle around the green house and in the corners of the green house and any other active spots

these are harmless to humans but will kill spiders on contact not sure about plants so dont have a direct contact situation (if you dont all of them thats fine all of them do great)

Drew, will any of that harm the plants if it gets on them? The spiders are mostly hanging out under the lip of the pots, right where your fingers go when you grab a pot. I can certainly use it on the floor and around the outside of the greenhouse

---------- Post added at 01:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 AM ----------

nevermind, I see where you said not sure about the plants. I missed it the first time. Okay, that gives me something to try. Even if it doesn't get all of them, perhaps it will discourage more from coming in.

all of the oils will kill them on contact but is organic soo it shoud be ok to use in a green house, sprinkle the baking powder around the green house and the oil's (any mix or number of them) inside

All we have around here is snow!

Well.. wear some protection glove or etc when you handle your plants from now on.

I'm all against killing anything. There are other solutions. As a Buddhist i would try to trap them in a jar find another area where there is little human interaction and release them. It soundslike a pain in the rear but to me there is no point in trying to kill something that is following its basic instinct to survive. Humans do the same though differently. If you do decide to relocate them i would highly suggest wearing gloves in addition to a prod to get them in the jar.
Also I know some people collect weird and deadly so post up and see if anyone wants them should you take my route.
IMO everything deserves life if there is a choice and to take that life simply because you knew it was there (to ME) is wrong... But regardless I hope whatever solution you come up with you stay safe and unbitten!

damn Joel i need to move to that part then :p we have widows up here as well, infact i killed a male one last night <_< i thought i had rid myself of them when i left florida....unless they came with me <_<

if you are careful widows will never bite you.
They are one of the shiest and least aggressive spiders.

Back