What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Musical Fertilizer?

Alright this is for the headbangers...or anyone interested. Heavy metal music BOOSTS the growth and SIZE of PLANTS. Mythbusters did an experiment using peas isolating several groups in separate greenhouses. Each group (minus the control which just had natural greenhouse conditions) had a set sprinkler giving each pot of peas the same ammount of water. What the peas were "listening" to were nice words, insults, and death metal (don't know what song) for 24 hrs a day for several months (if i remember right). The results were that the Headbanging peas produced a larger plant, heavier, healthier, larger crops. The others were no where NEAR as good. Thoughts?

Yes, i saw this a few years back and I was thinking of doing this for my cps, although I would be using "kind word" heavy metal so my parents dont hear. But i will try that sometime.

Christian Metal kills CPs! :D

i think they should redo the experiment again...as you remember they did run into a significant hiccup while running the experiment. maybe it was because of the high frequency of beats perhaps? moved the soil around so roots could grow faster? anybody want to experiment using drum and bass?

what kind of metal would be best? prog? death? thrash/speed? maybe artists? early Metallica(including the later St. Anger album...AWESOME)? Slayer? Cannibal Corpse? Dream Theater? Disturbed?

the list can go on!

lets put some John Mayer or GooGoo Dolls on. relaxed chilled out plants? Nirvana maybe? would plants revolt and grow down if we play RATM?

oh the sleepless nightss of a college student....

Alex

awesome!!!! idk they dont get it 24/7 but i play it sometimes haha

disturbed
a skylit drive
slipknot
godsmack
atreyu
taproot
mudvayne
nine inch nails
flyleaf
seether
metallica
rammstein
bullet for my valentine
avenged sevenfold
red
skillet
scary kids scaring kids
silverstein
escape the fate

hmm so many others...metal, hard rock, i also have korean, japanese, german, along with the english, and like a lot of other genre haha i love music

i love Ax7... but their music style is so... unorthodox. metal metal...ballad... metal. just like Death Magnetic from Metallica. strongly do not prefer than album. everyone hates St. Anger... but its probably my favorite album. the passion behind St. Anger, Frantic, Invisible Kid... its epic.

Alex

My Neps got subjected to classic metal like Wasp, Manowar and Venom along with newer black metal bands like Emperor, Mystifier ("Goetia" album!) and Dimmu Borgir and of course dark ambient keyboardy weirdness of Beherit, Brighter Death Now and early Mortiis (before he was techno :p).

I wanted to interview Lars Ulrich so bad when he was doing the whole anti-Napster thing. A decade or so earlier when Metallica started he promoted "tape trading" in all kinds of interviews in mags like Power Metal and Metal Forces. I still have these mags in my garage in boxes. Tape Trading is kids taping their fave hard to find metal records and sending or giving it it to their friends.... I fail to see how that was any different than Napster (or You Tube)....;)

I wanted to interview Lars Ulrich so bad when he was doing the whole anti-Napster thing. A decade or so earlier when Metallica started he promoted "tape trading" in all kinds of interviews in mags like Power Metal and Metal Forces. I still have these mags in my garage in boxes. Tape Trading is kids taping their fave hard to find metal records and sending or giving it it to their friends.... I fail to see how that was any different than Napster (or You Tube)....;)

Bunch of hypocrites!!! :crazy:

I stopped listening to them after Load came out, I like him better when he was an alcoholic. That was music.

Do the right thing and buy cd's(or mp3 DL's), piracy :)nono:) will (and is) kill(ing) the music industry.

You can find my old Cernunnos Woods project music online for illegal MP3 download for $0.10 per song on a site called "legalsounds.com" ! :D
I don't care about that old stuff, I just find it funny that they're selling a download, claiming it's legal and I never authorized it. The titles are off by 1 track too not to mention the best track from the CD isn't even up...

Don't bother listening to it though, it really is musical "fertilizer" being recorded 15 years ago on a cheap Tascam and using old-fashioned Yamaha synths! LOL

i do a mix of piracy and buying from iTunes. 70% of all the music i have is from friends albums that i have borrowed.

on a side note, Load sucked. so did 80% of Reload. Death Magnetic sucked and Garage Inc. was so so. Kill em All was epic, Ride the Lighting was awesome, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All were also great. Metallica(aka the Black Album) was mixed for me. the Unforgiven I is probably one of their best songs(the other two sucked..) and ive already put my views on St. Anger, Load and Reload. i also find it funny how drastically Hetfield's voice changed from Ride the Lighting to Master of Puppets.

enough about Metallica... haha. and yes.... Dave Mustain is a much better guitarist than Kirk Hammett. haha

Alex

Dave Mustain is a much better guitarist than Kirk Hammett.
But much snottier! Nobody is snottier than "guitar god" Yngwie Malmsteen though. I've seen him abandon two different backup bands without a ride here in Minneapolis! LOL

I still enjoy those first 4 Metallica LPs. I actually rode the Metallica skateboards made by Zorlac Skates (1986-1990) with skull art by Pushead when I was a kid and limber enough to recover from skating injuries quickly!

Back to the topic ;) my plants listen to:
wbtz 99.9 the buzz (alternative-rock)
my playlist consists of(in no particular order):
metallica(while we're 'on-topic', the 'older albums')
disturbed
AFI
NIN
Slipknot
hehe, Rage Agaisnt the Machine
Dave Matthews Band
Matthew Good
Bad Religion
Avenged Sevenfold
nofx
Rancid
Incubus
Jimmy Eat World
Godsmack
Atreyu
Flyleaf
Seether

I see no changes in growth based on music, but eh, that's my opinion...
I could imagine sound waves to be similar to a massage, if blasted real loud. I assume(including heavy metal), hip-hop, rap, R&B, LOL and drum and base for sure would have an effect over softer music. What they(mythbusters) sould have tested was between lower/higher frequencies, subwoofer vs tweeter...

i think they should redo the experiment again...as you remember they did run into a significant hiccup while running the experiment. maybe it was because of the high frequency of beats perhaps? moved the soil around so roots could grow faster? anybody want to experiment using drum and bass?

yes the water system failed but regardless when they did the measurements they found that the death metal plants were far better in size produce etc. Why I can't say because I dont know.
And to answer all of your questions I dont remember but i know it was even harder than Lamb of God. :0o: so not Disturbed, Nickleback etc etc

Back