Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: making minibog, need help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good. The only caveats I have are:

1. The pipe should not go to the very bottom of the bog, otherwise water will seep very slowly out of it. Some perlite will always come to the surface, but that's to be expected.
    2. Make sure that the smaller sarras are not behind taller ones as they will shade them.

Looks good though. And it's not unusual for flower buds to be put out at this time. My oreo is already putting out its first flower buds. If it gets TOO cold, they might wither and die, but that's normal.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

One last thing: Six sarras per bog is a little much. However it should be fine for a year or two.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brokken:

Thanks! I figured I was putting a little too many in there, but they're still all either young plants or rather smaller divisions, so I decided I'd let them grow and overgrow for a few years then repot (and make divisions of course ).

I don't quite know what you mean about not having the tube go all the way to the bottom that the water will seep out - do you mean evaporate up out of the tube or ? I have the tube in there mainly to see where the water level is, because it seems to me like where the water level is at in the tube should be where the water level is at in the rest of the container (unless I'm horribly wrong?).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He means that it will be hard for the water to get out of the tube when you try to water it. Leave some space between the tube and the bottom so the water can get out when you pour it in.

Why use peat and perlite in an even mixture? That seems okay for neps, but sars like to be wet. I use straight peat for mine, always have. That way I don't have to water so much. And I'm in an area where we get plenty of rain most of the time. They stay pretty waterlogged and seem to enjoy it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    raise your hand if you think Clue should get 10pts for being able to use the word "anhygroscopic"

*raises hand*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Brokken:

Thanks! I figured I was putting a little too many in there, but they're still all either young plants or rather smaller divisions, so I decided I'd let them grow and overgrow for a few years then repot (and make divisions of course ).

I don't quite know what you mean about not having the tube go all the way to the bottom that the water will seep out - do you mean evaporate up out of the tube or ? I have the tube in there mainly to see where the water level is, because it seems to me like where the water level is at in the tube should be where the water level is at in the rest of the container (unless I'm horribly wrong?).
    Not necessarily because of evaporation or because the water will not eventually seep through - even through something as small as a the tube, but as a matter of convenience. I don't know, but it seems like pouring water carefully through the tube might be hard to do and may take some time to do, but I've been wrong before.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, so I cut the PVC at a slant at the bottom, like you can see in my first pic, so that the bottom tip sits on the bottom of the planter but the water can still seep out because the whole tube is resting inside the corner of the planter. This is just my first try, so I'll see how this all works out and if it doesn't, I'll try something new.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the peat gets soaked it should stop trying to climb out of the pot every time you water. I always pre-soak it for that reason, and to keep the plants from being stressed by sticking them into dry soil.

I prefer 1:1:1 peat, sand, perlite, sometimes with vermiculite and charcoal whenever I have some handy. YMMV. After a season the peat will cake down, and it won't float at all, nor about 90% of the perlite. Don't plant pygmy sundews until that happens, or you will loose them all the next time it rains. Personal experience.

20 points to Clue for using a word I had to go look up.
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help everyone - everything appears to still be alive, so I'll definitely post updates as soon as things start to wake up (which might be soon considering the warm spell we're having...).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast