Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 27 of 101 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777 ... LastLast

Thread: Brokken's Greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They just keep getting better don't they Brokken!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    hyper drool....
    what's wrong with your TM? it's mouth looks normal...doesnt seem to have a conflict of pedigree. very strange, very fortunate. i hate contorted mouth pitchers....
    This is my thoughts exactly. One of the reasons I hadn't bought a N. x trusmadiensis is because of the whole distorted retard pitcher deal it had going for it. Which clone is this?

Maybe we aren't seeing the conflict because it hasn't gotten to the uppers yet. I believe that may be where the "special" pitchers come in to play.

Regardless, they all look really nice!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's clone 2. The one with the wider peristome which IMHO is a little better looking than clone 1. It retains its symetrical shape better than 1 but still as the pitchers get larger and upper, they tend to show some deformation. This even holds true for macrophylla. TM though does seem to pass some really desirable traits to its progeny though: long lived, hardy pitchers, good color, ridges/teet and a flared peristome in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Soopaman View Post
    This is my thoughts exactly. One of the reasons I hadn't bought a N. x trusmadiensis is because of the whole distorted retard pitcher deal it had going for it. Which clone is this?

Maybe we aren't seeing the conflict because it hasn't gotten to the uppers yet. I believe that may be where the "special" pitchers come in to play.

Regardless, they all look really nice!

I'm not sure I like this post concatenation based on when the last time you posted into a thread was. Anyhow, this was supposed to be a separate post:

Two ventricosa crosses:

ventricosa x angasanensis:

ventricosa x ramispina (Black Knight):

Two (veitchii x lowii) x spectabilis crosses:

Plant 1 (Pink):

Plant 2 (Yellow):

"There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred P View Post
    They just keep getting better don't they Brokken!
    Yes they do, Fred. Got quite a bit to go though. My growing skills are paltry compared to some.
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So beautiful..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just love the color on this guy - N. (veitchii x lowii) x spectabilis:

This guy from Nep101 spent a year in stasis - neither growing nor dying. It may as well have been plastic. Finally putting on some size. N. hamata:

I just liked the way the pot looked after cleanup. N. jamban:

Last edited by Brokken; 06-04-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    -Rubén Darío-

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing plants!
    After looking through this thread, I was wondering, do you keep your plants sitting in water? It tends to look like it in most of your photos... do you have problems with this, or do you use a free draining mix to sidestep the issue? What sort of mix do you generally use, too? I'm guessing that the terracotta pots stop things from getting too moist? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MH1 View Post
    Amazing plants!
    After looking through this thread, I was wondering, do you keep your plants sitting in water? It tends to look like it in most of your photos... do you have problems with this, or do you use a free draining mix to sidestep the issue? What sort of mix do you generally use, too? I'm guessing that the terracotta pots stop things from getting too moist? Thanks
    Hi there!

The rationale behind keeping my plants in standing water - I feel - are in part localized to where I live and also are mitigated by several circumstances:

In San Jose, the climate is very hot and dry during the summer. The water in those containers evaporates in about 4 days during winter and in as little as one day during summer - when temperatures can reach over 100 degrees inside the greenhouse and relative humidity can be as low as 30%. The semi-permeable terracotta pots provide two services: As evaporative coolers for the roots and also to allow for better gas exchange. It's not perfect but it does seem to work for me. Another reason I keep the trays is because water is a rare commodity for me. The water from the tap is about 250-300 PPM - totally unusable for my plants, so I have to conserve as much of it as I can. If it were softer from the tap, I would let it drain freely from my pots, but that would mean having to water much more frequently - to the point where I would need to automate it. I'm not there yet.

Lastly, aesthetically, I find terracotta much more pleasing than plastic. Initially the pots algae-over - which is yucky, but after the algae, a more more pleasing, vellum-like cover of moss takes over and I like the look of this. Much more organic than a sterile plastic pot. As you can see, I do like to appreciate my environment as a whole rather than individually (even going so far as to make the tags in a script-like font to mimic the look of Edwardian greenhouses. At some point, I'd like to replace my GH with something more organic and classic too.) so every little bit helps.

I don't think that my method would work for everyone, but it seems to do the trick for me in my conditions.

Thanks for the comment and the questions. They are greatly appreciated!
    -Rubén Darío-