0 Thread(s)
    Nice Jamban!
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, but you forgot to mention what's the potting soil *in* the pots? I might actually maybe think about using your method in the future instead of my plastic pots...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Oh, but you forgot to mention what's the potting soil *in* the pots? I might actually maybe think about using your method in the future instead of my plastic pots...
    Hi Thez!

Good point: The media is as open as I can make it. I have a hard time growing live sphagnum but some of it does manage to thrive. Instead I use re-hydrated long-fibered sphagnum - about 50 percent of the mix. The other 50% consists roughly of a mix of perlite, lava rock, charcoal and coarse and fine orchid bark. In some cases, I build the media up into a little mound protruding from the pot. This provides additional room for cooling and breathing for the plant - since nep roots are a little on the weak side. Eventually this too is covered by club moss which helps maintain the medium anchored to the pot and gives it a nice bonsai-like look.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... well, that sounds like my mix of lfs : perlite.. I'm a go! next repot... I might try that on a couple of my babies.

Awesome pics of course didn't mean to just rain on the parade

Smile, it makes people nervous :) MH1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I see! I had a feeling it would be because of your climate. I was just wondering, as I'm pretty forgetful when it comes to watering neps, plus I hate watching all the water just drip out of the pots unused, so I'm always on the lookout for something to make the job easier/more efficient! I saw someone using 80% perlite a while back, so that's next on my list of experiments! Your method probably wouldn't work in my conditions though- waaayy too cool and humid.

I was also interested about the pots- I like how the moss grows on the outside, and I was thinking of growing some Darlingtonia in France, but it gets hot in summer, and I was wondering how well the terracotta works in comparison to a white glaze. Maybe if you can pull 100F off with Helis, I might be able to pull it off with a rare 40C every now and then. I have a few a few shoots to spare, so I can afford to experiment. (In northern England keeping such plants outside in the Summer is no effort, so I never considered/discussed it before)
    Thanks for the info! Eventually I'll have my own method nailed! Keep the photos coming!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.. Can't wait for my (veitchii x low) x spectabilus to put on some size. Gorgeous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. aristolochioides (currently with six pitchers):

N. lowii x campanulata (two different clones in one pot):

N. fursca (working on two new pitchers):

N. izumiae x TM (getting better every day. Currently working on two new pitchers):

N x 'Lady Pauline':

N. maxima x veitchii (I like the pitchers on this plant when they initially open):

N truncata x (ventricosa x aristolochioides) (male, currently flowering):

N. thorelii x aristolochioides (one of my all time favorites):

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MH1 View Post
    I was also interested about the pots- I like how the moss grows on the outside, and I was thinking of growing some Darlingtonia in France, but it gets hot in summer, and I was wondering how well the terracotta works in comparison to a white glaze. Maybe if you can pull 100F off with Helis, I might be able to pull it off with a rare 40C every now and then. I have a few a few shoots to spare, so I can afford to experiment. (In northern England keeping such plants outside in the Summer is no effort, so I never considered/discussed it before)
    Thanks for the info! Eventually I'll have my own method nailed! Keep the photos coming!
    It works remarkably well for cooling. I would recommend that you get a pot that is capable of holding a considerable amount of media if your temperatures reach 40 even for a single day. Generally I can grow darlingtonia for the most part okay, then a single day of temperatures in that range is enough to kill all of mine. I think the best medicine in this case is preventive: Buy large pots that are capable of maintaining their thermal mass through a hot spell and be mindful of the weather and when it could turn deadly to your plants.
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful pitchers! I love the N. izumiae x TM; I just ordered one and can only hope it looks half as good as yours.

Thanks for sharing!