What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ooh they're all nice! And your dubia is sooo much more colorful than mine :0o:

nice looking singalana.. Can't wait to get some size on mine so it can look as hawt as yours!

Trusmadiensis front and back:

cp-may2011-trusmadiensis001.jpg

Ventricosa x Trusmadiensis. This cross is commonly known as "Sabre" - It is a hardy beast that puts out very colorful, long lasting pitchers. I have a very large basal that I'm planning to keep but I'm willing to trade the mother plant for other TM crosses or Briggsianas if interested.

cp-may2011-ventxtm001.jpg

Izumiae x Trusmadiensis. In keeping with the TM theme... this is the first pitcher in my care. When it fully opens, the pitcher and peristome will darken to a near-black color while the inside remains green-grey. This is one of the most spectacular TM crosses.

cp-may2011-izxtm002.jpg

Thorelii x Trusmadiensis. The uppers on this plant are amazingly beautiful and resemble those of wide peristomed goblet shaped plants like jacquelinae. Just gotta wait a few years.

cp-may2011-thorxtm004.jpg

Maxima x Trusmadiensis. I'm not sure what to expect from this. Right now the pitchers looks nice enough - but not spectacular. They do feel woody to the touch and are long lasting. The leaves look very TM like.

cp-may2011-maxxtm003.jpg

Muluensis x lowii - this is a slow plant, but one that has extreme pitcher longevity. The two darker pitchers have been on this plant for the better part of 6 months and a third one just recently joined them:

cp-may2011-mulxlow004.jpg

Last edited:
Very beautiful Brokken!! You are right, that izumiae x TM Is truly spectacular, great job!

Spectacular...:drool:

Amazing...and that Izumiae x Trusmadiensis is absolutely beautiful. :0o:

hyper drool....
what's wrong with your TM? it's mouth looks normal...doesnt seem to have a conflict of pedigree. very strange, very fortunate. i hate contorted mouth pitchers....

looks like you have a fixation with TM and TM hybrids...not a bad choice. i cant wait to see your puppies mature and produce those spectacular pitchers.

I really like the domed lid on that izXTM! And everything else is gorgeous too of course :p

They just keep getting better don't they Brokken! :)

hyper drool....
what's wrong with your TM? it's mouth looks normal...doesnt seem to have a conflict of pedigree. very strange, very fortunate. i hate contorted mouth pitchers....

This is my thoughts exactly. One of the reasons I hadn't bought a N. x trusmadiensis is because of the whole distorted retard pitcher deal it had going for it. Which clone is this?

Maybe we aren't seeing the conflict because it hasn't gotten to the uppers yet. I believe that may be where the "special" pitchers come in to play.

Regardless, they all look really nice!

It's clone 2. The one with the wider peristome which IMHO is a little better looking than clone 1. It retains its symetrical shape better than 1 but still as the pitchers get larger and upper, they tend to show some deformation. This even holds true for macrophylla. TM though does seem to pass some really desirable traits to its progeny though: long lived, hardy pitchers, good color, ridges/teet and a flared peristome in some cases.

This is my thoughts exactly. One of the reasons I hadn't bought a N. x trusmadiensis is because of the whole distorted retard pitcher deal it had going for it. Which clone is this?

Maybe we aren't seeing the conflict because it hasn't gotten to the uppers yet. I believe that may be where the "special" pitchers come in to play.

Regardless, they all look really nice!

I'm not sure I like this post concatenation based on when the last time you posted into a thread was. Anyhow, this was supposed to be a separate post:

Two ventricosa crosses:

ventricosa x angasanensis:

cp-may2011-ventxangasa001.jpg

ventricosa x ramispina (Black Knight):

cp-may2011-ventxramis001.jpg

Two (veitchii x lowii) x spectabilis crosses:

Plant 1 (Pink):

cp-may2011-veitchiixlowiixxspect001.jpg

Plant 2 (Yellow):

cp-may2011-veitchiixlowiixxspect002.jpg

They just keep getting better don't they Brokken! :)

Yes they do, Fred. :) Got quite a bit to go though. My growing skills are paltry compared to some.

:love: So beautiful..

Just love the color on this guy - N. (veitchii x lowii) x spectabilis:

cp-jun2011-veitchxlowxxspect001.jpg

This guy from Nep101 spent a year in stasis - neither growing nor dying. It may as well have been plastic. Finally putting on some size. N. hamata:

cp-jun2011-hamata001.jpg

I just liked the way the pot looked after cleanup. N. jamban:

cp-jun2011-jamban001.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing plants!
After looking through this thread, I was wondering, do you keep your plants sitting in water? It tends to look like it in most of your photos... do you have problems with this, or do you use a free draining mix to sidestep the issue? What sort of mix do you generally use, too? I'm guessing that the terracotta pots stop things from getting too moist? Thanks :)

Amazing plants!
After looking through this thread, I was wondering, do you keep your plants sitting in water? It tends to look like it in most of your photos... do you have problems with this, or do you use a free draining mix to sidestep the issue? What sort of mix do you generally use, too? I'm guessing that the terracotta pots stop things from getting too moist? Thanks :)

Hi there!

The rationale behind keeping my plants in standing water - I feel - are in part localized to where I live and also are mitigated by several circumstances:

In San Jose, the climate is very hot and dry during the summer. The water in those containers evaporates in about 4 days during winter and in as little as one day during summer - when temperatures can reach over 100 degrees inside the greenhouse and relative humidity can be as low as 30%. The semi-permeable terracotta pots provide two services: As evaporative coolers for the roots and also to allow for better gas exchange. It's not perfect but it does seem to work for me. Another reason I keep the trays is because water is a rare commodity for me. The water from the tap is about 250-300 PPM - totally unusable for my plants, so I have to conserve as much of it as I can. If it were softer from the tap, I would let it drain freely from my pots, but that would mean having to water much more frequently - to the point where I would need to automate it. I'm not there yet.

Lastly, aesthetically, I find terracotta much more pleasing than plastic. Initially the pots algae-over - which is yucky, but after the algae, a more more pleasing, vellum-like cover of moss takes over and I like the look of this. Much more organic than a sterile plastic pot. As you can see, I do like to appreciate my environment as a whole rather than individually (even going so far as to make the tags in a script-like font to mimic the look of Edwardian greenhouses. At some point, I'd like to replace my GH with something more organic and classic too.) so every little bit helps.

I don't think that my method would work for everyone, but it seems to do the trick for me in my conditions.

Thanks for the comment and the questions. They are greatly appreciated! :)

Nice Jamban!

Oh, but you forgot to mention what's the potting soil *in* the pots? :ohno: I might actually maybe think about using your method in the future instead of my plastic pots...

Oh, but you forgot to mention what's the potting soil *in* the pots? :ohno: I might actually maybe think about using your method in the future instead of my plastic pots...

Hi Thez!

Good point: The media is as open as I can make it. I have a hard time growing live sphagnum but some of it does manage to thrive. Instead I use re-hydrated long-fibered sphagnum - about 50 percent of the mix. The other 50% consists roughly of a mix of perlite, lava rock, charcoal and coarse and fine orchid bark. In some cases, I build the media up into a little mound protruding from the pot. This provides additional room for cooling and breathing for the plant - since nep roots are a little on the weak side. Eventually this too is covered by club moss which helps maintain the medium anchored to the pot and gives it a nice bonsai-like look.

Hmm... well, that sounds like my mix of lfs : perlite.. I'm a go! next repot... I might try that on a couple of my babies.

Awesome pics of course :oops: didn't mean to just rain on the parade :ohno:

Back