What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new 55 gallon LL nep tank setup

I have a bunch of LL nep seedlings and needed a place that was closer to LL conditions to grow them out for the winter.
I had a spare 4ft long 55g tank and decided to set it up.
There is a 4ft t8 shoplight with 1 daylight 6500k and 1 sunshine 5000k bulb for lighting.
water in the bottom for humidity and heating with a submersible fish tank heater for warmth.
For air circulation I have my old laptops fan in there wired to a cell phone charger.
For the rear reflector I used a emergency blanket glued to a cardboard box with elmers craft bond.
Not shown in the pics are bubble wrap around the tank and another emergency blanket put over the top to help keep temps stable.

PICS

LLtankedited.jpg

click for hi res pic.

Peace,
Zero

Sweeeeet setup. Looks like everything will be happy, what plants do you have in there?

In the tank are
(ventricosa x sib) x merilliana EP
bical x merilliana EP
rafflesiana x merilliana EP
sib x (northiana x veitchii) EP
rafflesiana var. alata
rafflesiana
mirabilis
albomarginata
amp
benstonei
maxima
globosa/viking
complex splediana hybrid
all are seed grown
peace,
Zero

Ohh, look at all those seedlings! Nice tank...

Wow! Lots of Nep seedlings! Good job there I can't seem to grow anything but Datura's from seed.

ingenious love the use of the emergency blanket nice thinking man.
that is a very nice set up .
what were you doing with all those plants before you got this tank LOL

uphwiz,
All those neps were growing in either Highland or Intermediate conditions and struggling with it before I set this up.
Now they are growing 2x as fast and pitchering well.
The wally world emergency blankets are cheap and work ok for throwing over a growspace to keep light in.
I started using these a few years ago to keep light from entering the livingroom so I could watch TV without glare.
I have a light block cloth curtain in place now so I don't use them in the living room anymore.

Zero, thanks for showing us your great set up. Im thinking that a submersable heater would be a good idea for me. How many watts is yours? What temp do you set it at? Also do you think polysterine would work well as insulation? Thats what I use now on the underneath of the tank and Im thinking that maybe around the sides would be good. I have lots of polystyrine but no emergency blankets. I just use kitchen foil to reflect the light inside.

Looking great Zero. What kinda temps are you getting now in there?

Very nice! :banana2:
I'm trying to get hold of my brother's old 55 gal tank so I can to something similar.
My lowlanders don't really like my highlander rack very much for some reason.

Kinabalufan, The heater is a 100w. It's set at 87F. If I had the money I would get a better heater.
Jayson16, The temps aren't ideal. It's 78-82F. Humidity is 70-80%. Much better then the big temp swings my HL rack has.
Rocketcaver, My LL neps really didn't like my HL racks either:)
Peace,
Zero

Hey Zero, as far as ventilation, is that little guy on the right the fan? Also I was wondering about the top of the tank and how it is sealed off. Is it sealed completely? Sweet Tank btw.

Back