What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow box, pics, need help..

Went to Home Depot today to prep for tomorrow's package. It was almost impossible to find a T12 light fixture, and next to impossible to find T8 lights. So after buying the last 2 - T12 fixtures at an old hardware store, and picking up a couple 35w T12 24" Sunshine lights.. it all worked out. I wanted 4 lights all together, but like I said, I bought the last 2 fixtures they had.
So now I'm trying to put a grow box together, but would like some opinions before I screw it all in place. And keep in mind, I'm using stuff that I have laying around one of my sheds. And it's only temporary until I get my greenhouse in June. I still need to figure out what will be done about the back and front.. but I gotta start somewhere right?

Left to right: (fogging humidifer with feed-in hose not pictured)
distilled water, water mister, 100% dried Canadian LFS, 2 - 24" T12 fixtures, 2 - 24" T12 Sunshine lights, 2 thermometer/hygrometers, and a small fan for circulation.

100_2644.jpg

The frame:

100_2648.jpg

Lights mounted to underside of lid:

100_2645.jpg

The sides: Should I go with the glass side in for reflection, or make it pretty with the glass side out so it has a nice wooden border?? It's tin on the otherside, so it wouldn't be that bad either way IMO.

100_2647.jpg

100_2646.jpg

Put together (not screwed down) with the tin side in:

100_2650.jpg

100_2651.jpg

The power cord and humidifier tube will be fed through the back. My girl standing next to it for height reference. And I threw an extra board on top for added support.

100_2649.jpg

what plants are you getting? and make sure that they are as close to the lights as possible the higher intensity is a boost.

now that im seeing what you're talking about...i think you're going to need more lighting. like double the amount that you have. you should install 2 additional lighting fixtures to the one you already have. it's looking good so far. you should know that canadian sphagnum breaks down rather very quickly which can be a problem for nepenthes which like loose aired, yet moist media. new zealand or chilean works much better.

what plants are you getting? and make sure that they are as close to the lights as possible the higher intensity is a boost.

2 ~ Seedgrown N. splendiana x (rokko x stenophylla)
N. gracilis
N x ventrata

I plan on having a tub in there to raise the plants up to about 4" from the lights..

now that im seeing what you're talking about...i think you're going to need more lighting. like double the amount that you have. you should install 2 additional lighting fixtures to the one you already have. it's looking good so far. you should know that canadian sphagnum breaks down rather very quickly which can be a problem for nepenthes which like loose aired, yet moist media. new zealand or chilean works much better.

I guess you didn't read that first paragraph.. lol. I wanted to buy 4 of those lights, which yes, is double what I have now.
That was the only moss I could find. Where do I get the other stuff?

ah. sorry about that. i guess i just like looking at pictures.... :blush:

you can get the stuff either via: orchid shops, or your affectionate Lowes. hahaha!

ah your gonna be a nepenthes guyy.

ah. sorry about that. i guess i just like looking at pictures.... :blush:

you can get the stuff either via: orchid shops, or your affectionate Lowes. hahaha!

No worries.. I'm the same way. :-D Darn Home Depot.. I'll hit up Lowe's this weekend then. Can I use the Canadian stuff for anything?

ah your gonna be a nepenthes guyy.

personally, I want to be a Ceph guy.. but I gotta start somewhere. I like Neps, Cephs, and Droseras a LOT!! But these are my first plants..

ALSO: MIRRORS IN OR OUT GUYS? I WANT TO GET THIS THING SCREWED TOGETHER.

goood luck. i jsut got my first ceph and heli about 2 weeks ago and their my favorites. neps gave me a littler troulble when i started 2 months ago but it picks up. sorry i cant answer your mirror question.

Looks good man, remember N. gracilis is a lowlander and the others are HL. You shouldnt have a prob with the N. vent but im not sure about the other, good luck.

Mirrors IN! and INWARD! you want to reflect and trap the most light possible. canadian stuff would be good for the outdoor CPs, since it breaks down and turns into peat.

Mirrors IN! and INWARD! you want to reflect and trap the most light possible. canadian stuff would be good for the outdoor CPs, since it breaks down and turns into peat.

bummer.. it's prettier the other way. Oh well, I'll do whatever it takes. Any idea what I can use for the front and back of this thing. And remember.. it's got to be laying around the property somewhere. lol

So save the Canadian stuff for the Sarracenia and flytrap bog I plan on building?

If you can find some mylar, you can tape it to the back of the mirrors and face them out the way you want.
You can cover the back with mylar if you find it. No need to cover the front.

Although the NZ and Chilean sphagnum is nice, I've used the Canadian for Neps with zero problems. It takes years for it to break down enough to cause any harm.

If you can find some mylar, you can tape it to the back of the mirrors and face them out the way you want.
You can cover the back with mylar if you find it. No need to cover the front.

Although the NZ and Chilean sphagnum is nice, I've used the Canadian for Neps with zero problems. It takes years for it to break down enough to cause any harm.

I decided to use insulation to cover the back and go mirrors in. Now I just have to cover the back with foil..

And trust me.. with a 2 year old AND a cat, there's more than enough reason to cover the front.

pS.. that's "A 1000 Ways To Die" on the tv. The junkyard poker cheat get's crushed. :-))

100_2652.jpg

100_2654.jpg

And trust me.. with a 2 year old AND a cat, there's more than enough reason to cover the front.
Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if you were only doing it because you thought it would improve humidity or something.

Also, if it's tin foil your talking about, it's reflectivity isn't very good. Don't waste your time or precious sandwich preservation material using it for this.

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if you were only doing it because you thought it would improve humidity or something.

Also, if it's tin foil your talking about, it's reflectivity isn't very good. Don't waste your time or precious sandwich preservation material using it for this.

no.. just a 2 year old boy that has "grab everything in site and run away with it" syndrome..

I heart sandwiches.. so I'll save the foil. I did find a 3nd mirror in the far back shed though. :-O

100_2659.jpg

I'll probably draw a killer mural on the front of the insulation to make it more appealing to the eye. Pink isn't really my color..

100_2657.jpg

Looks good to me! A few recommendations I have are:

1. add mylar to the inside of the insulation. Will help with the light. Mylar is 100x better then foil!
2. Put a floor in it. I make a mess with water and soil and LFS all over the place! It will help the clean up in the long run.
3. More light! More light never hurt anything! You can mount fluorescent light just about anywhere.

massmorels! you got that up and running pretty quick! happy growing! and dont be afraid to ask stuff, that's what we're all here for!

massmorels! you got that up and running pretty quick! happy growing! and dont be afraid to ask stuff, that's what we're all here for!

Hey thanks! I pride myself on my handyness in a rush. Not to shabby for misc. items laying around in the tool sheds out back huh? Believe me, I ask plenty of questions. I know some people are already getting sick of me.

Looks good to me! A few recommendations I have are:

1. add mylar to the inside of the insulation. Will help with the light. Mylar is 100x better then foil!
2. Put a floor in it. I make a mess with water and soil and LFS all over the place! It will help the clean up in the long run.
3. More light! More light never hurt anything! You can mount fluorescent light just about anywhere.

1. I'll pick some up at Lowe's on Saturday. Never heard of it, so I'm pretty sure I don't have any.
2. Good thinking.. thanks!
3. The first paragraph of this thread says that I bought the last 2 fixtures they had. I'm getting more at a different store on Sat.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming..

Yeah I ment even more light! In addition to the two on top. You can mount most light on the sides too.
Or upgrade to a T5 or better. Your plants will love you!

Back