Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grow box, pics, need help..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grow box, pics, need help..

Went to Home Depot today to prep for tomorrow's package. It was almost impossible to find a T12 light fixture, and next to impossible to find T8 lights. So after buying the last 2 - T12 fixtures at an old hardware store, and picking up a couple 35w T12 24" Sunshine lights.. it all worked out. I wanted 4 lights all together, but like I said, I bought the last 2 fixtures they had.
    So now I'm trying to put a grow box together, but would like some opinions before I screw it all in place. And keep in mind, I'm using stuff that I have laying around one of my sheds. And it's only temporary until I get my greenhouse in June. I still need to figure out what will be done about the back and front.. but I gotta start somewhere right?

Left to right: (fogging humidifer with feed-in hose not pictured)
    distilled water, water mister, 100% dried Canadian LFS, 2 - 24" T12 fixtures, 2 - 24" T12 Sunshine lights, 2 thermometer/hygrometers, and a small fan for circulation.

The frame:

Lights mounted to underside of lid:

The sides: Should I go with the glass side in for reflection, or make it pretty with the glass side out so it has a nice wooden border?? It's tin on the otherside, so it wouldn't be that bad either way IMO.

Put together (not screwed down) with the tin side in:

The power cord and humidifier tube will be fed through the back. My girl standing next to it for height reference. And I threw an extra board on top for added support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what plants are you getting? and make sure that they are as close to the lights as possible the higher intensity is a boost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now that im seeing what you're talking about...i think you're going to need more lighting. like double the amount that you have. you should install 2 additional lighting fixtures to the one you already have. it's looking good so far. you should know that canadian sphagnum breaks down rather very quickly which can be a problem for nepenthes which like loose aired, yet moist media. new zealand or chilean works much better.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kgrudz View Post
    what plants are you getting? and make sure that they are as close to the lights as possible the higher intensity is a boost.
    2 ~ Seedgrown N. splendiana x (rokko x stenophylla)
    N. gracilis
    N x ventrata

I plan on having a tub in there to raise the plants up to about 4" from the lights..

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    now that im seeing what you're talking about...i think you're going to need more lighting. like double the amount that you have. you should install 2 additional lighting fixtures to the one you already have. it's looking good so far. you should know that canadian sphagnum breaks down rather very quickly which can be a problem for nepenthes which like loose aired, yet moist media. new zealand or chilean works much better.
    I guess you didn't read that first paragraph.. lol. I wanted to buy 4 of those lights, which yes, is double what I have now.
    That was the only moss I could find. Where do I get the other stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah. sorry about that. i guess i just like looking at pictures....

you can get the stuff either via: orchid shops, or your affectionate Lowes. hahaha!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah your gonna be a nepenthes guyy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    ah. sorry about that. i guess i just like looking at pictures....

you can get the stuff either via: orchid shops, or your affectionate Lowes. hahaha!
    No worries.. I'm the same way. Darn Home Depot.. I'll hit up Lowe's this weekend then. Can I use the Canadian stuff for anything?

Quote Originally Posted by kgrudz View Post
    ah your gonna be a nepenthes guyy.
    personally, I want to be a Ceph guy.. but I gotta start somewhere. I like Neps, Cephs, and Droseras a LOT!! But these are my first plants..

ALSO: MIRRORS IN OR OUT GUYS? I WANT TO GET THIS THING SCREWED TOGETHER.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    goood luck. i jsut got my first ceph and heli about 2 weeks ago and their my favorites. neps gave me a littler troulble when i started 2 months ago but it picks up. sorry i cant answer your mirror question.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast