Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquarium Conversion Project

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How's it drain? Is the bottom water-tight? I wish I had time to build stuff that looked nice...
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is watertight when you silicone the frame up to where the hinge is don't trust the manufacturer to have sealed the top frame. Definitely do it yourself, they just glue it on since they likely don't intend for you to do this with their tanks. I'd like to attempt drilling a drainage hole on that cracked tank before I try it on a good one like this. Otherwise I'll use a false bottom to elevate the soil a bit. This 10 gallon tank (10 x 12 x 20) project gives you essentially a mid sized Exo-Terra vivarium (12 x 12 x 18) for about $25 (I'll have to do the exact math, the sheet of plexi I got is 20 x 32 enough to make 3 lids/fronts) compare this price to a real exo-terra for $75 or so. And with an exo-terra you still have a screen top to deal with.

Here's the cheapest place for clear plastic hinges, latches, handles, etc.
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/def...arentcatid=795

BTW Joe, get all your pots & potting media ready I'm shipping those Succulents on Tuesday! You're gonna be a busy beaver! LOL
    Save your $ on APS and get over to NAPA Auto Parts and for $7 you'll have more Floor Dry #8822 than you know what to do with - don't use it on your CPs though. It's a killer for them but a miracle for succulents, it's what mine are currently growing in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I dunno if you saw it in the spider thread but here's my latest thing, a 10 gallon vertical:

It could be used for frogs, tarantulas, plants, etc. anything needing vertical height.

It's pretty easy to do but if anyone is interested I can make a photo step by step when I do another one just like it.
    I like that! how many ts were u planning on getting again? i know u got a load of containers from the other post
    L'imagination est la clé de la logique de la pensée, une plus grande vérité éternelle.
    Me

Formerly Plantea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure how many Ts I will get. For now I'm just gonna get a couple permanent tanks setup for the two I have, one horizontal desert tank and this vertical forest one. I will be setting up 3 more verticals since 4x 10 gallon verts will fit under a 4 ft fixture but I haven't made a firm decision what may be going in them, other than plants of course!

I found a great Mantid Forum so I will be getting some of my most coveted mantid species shortly to go into those 1.5 gallon candy jar terrariums. If all goes well perhaps I can share some exotic flower mantid nymphs with you guys next year.

Sorry we've hijacked your post swampy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at your post and have to say the tank looks great. I have a couple smaller tanks that I have been thinking about doing that to for growing my orchids as well as some CPs. I do have a couple of questions.

1) Is the top of your tank still open or did you seal it up?

2) When you put the track on the front was there a lot of overhang?

3) Is the track showing any signs of stress with the glass in it without support?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you shake a rain stick, you get rain. I need a hamata stick.
    My WWWs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James H View Post
    I was looking at your post and have to say the tank looks great. I have a couple smaller tanks that I have been thinking about doing that to for growing my orchids as well as some CPs. I do have a couple of questions.

1) Is the top of your tank still open or did you seal it up?

2) When you put the track on the front was there a lot of overhang?

3) Is the track showing any signs of stress with the glass in it without support?
    Sorry, missed your reply, James.

1. Yes, currently the top is open. I have a 4' 4 bulb t5 the covers most of the opening though.

2. You cut the track to length. Then again, are you talking overhang to the left and right of the tank or out forward?

3. No issues at all. Between having the glass slightly rounded and coating it in a bit of wax, it slides cleanly. The top support pane that I initially thought might be an issue -due to the length and limited adhesion area- is also looking good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12