User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What plants for a simple terrarium?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    I will disagree with Hermes on one point - I think that D. binata would be a bad neighbor in such a confined setup. Maybe a dwarf form, but my understanding is that D. binata is an aggressive colonizer on the order of weeds like D. capensis. As it grows close to the ground, you can't just cut it back easily the way you can with old crowns of capensis.
    Perhaps it's not the best choice. But if it potted, then it should be pretty well contained. If it jumps the pot into the bedding, just rip up and replace some of the bedding. The bedding between pots should be considered a "no man's" land and treated as a firewall for the more invasive species.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm mostly fine with the possibility of an utter failure, as I said I'm new to this (any learning experience is a plus for me). How well would a glass screen separate the weed-growing and non weed-growing species? I've mixed up the peat and perlite soil with an inch layer of commercial river rock at the bottom, and I can always drill a hole in the bottom of the tank later.

I'm not sure why, but I only want to do this with seeds. Maybe it's the mental (and I'm guessing unlikely) image of dozens of little sundews poking up, spreading, growing taller, and flowering. If I actually get to the point of producing seed I might even remove some established plants so the babies get their turn. Unless this is a reallly bad idea, I'll order the popular vote seeds tomorrow.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing in a planted terra, for me, has been simpler and far less tedious as you guys make it out to be. I have yet to have any 'salt build up' or decomposing of media, two years in now. I can't say that in the following year or two, I might/will change the media, but for now it is not necessary.

Binata are AMAZING in a terra, I have a dichotoma giant as centerpiece in it, and a mutifida on the far right side. The plants will remain small and close to the ground for a while, but with binata, you get vertical growth as well, making it dense and jungle like. Light still pentrates through, and my dielsiana and spatulata's are good and red. Good placement is key though.

Growing from seed will be a very rewarding way to start, you'll be able to follow their growth from sprout to flower. One suggestion though, get decent lighting...
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you don’t like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about just with sundews? Are there any species that would fill different gaps in ways they could live with each other? (Like one plant is bigger and overrides the other, but the smaller one seeds so much it's okay?)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12