What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini bog questions

This is something I've never done, but have always wanted to. I've found a few online how-to's, but I still have questions to which I couldn't find answers -

1. Does it still need to have drainage holes (I assume so)? One how-to said yes, another said no...

2. I know you can plant Sarrs, flytraps, drosera, etc. in the same bog, but does this tend to cause more problems for one species or another? E.g. Keeping it wet enough for the Sarr but not too wet for the flytrap...

3. Lastly, if you have a deep mini bog (or a deep pot for that matter), how do you unpot the plants later to add new soil, without ripping their roots to shreds in the process? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is turning the thing over and dumping it, or digging them out with a spade (destroys half the roots), both of which sound far from ideal.

1. I place drainage holes in my mini-bogs for 2 reasons.
Reason #1 - mine hang off a deck railing. If it where to fill up with water, it would be even heavier and I'm concerned about it coming lose and hitting the ground.
Reason #2 - I fear on heavy rains it will make a nice watery, soupy mix and have soil and plants overflowing the edges of the mini-bog.

2. I have had mixed mini-bogs with all the mentioned varieties of CP's and never had any issues.

3. I loosen the soil around the roots best I can and just rip them out. I've never had issues with VFT's with this procedure, but some Sarrs do not like this.

1. I have a lrage bog (hard pond liner). I have placed drain holes about 3-4" from the top so there is some draining to prevent over flow. This also helps the roots get air and prevents them from sitting under water all the time.

2. I have all these in my bog with no issues. One trick you can use is mounding soil. This way if a plant likes it a little on the drier side you can place it on the mound. On the other end you can dig lows also. Placing plants that like water logged conditions there.

3. I would NOT recommend ripping the plants out of the soil. I do turn the pot over while holding the rhizome in one hand. All loose soil will fall off. Then wash the rest off in a tub of water. You can get them clean as a whistle this way.

I have multiple temperate species planted together in minibogs with no problems. I do not use drainage holes, but it rains very little where I live, so I do not have to worry about flooding. If one plant starts crowding others (Sarrs), I simply use garden shears to cut the invading rhizome below the surface and then pull out the part I wish to remove.

I have hole in mine a few inches from the top of the soil level. I plug the holes with small sticks in the summer when it is hotter and drier here. An easy way to get them out is to use your hose, turn the water on, stick in the medium near the plant, moving it around a little letting the water liquify the soil so that the plants are easy to pull out or even wash out on their own. This is good especially for large bogs that you can't tip over or in-ground bogs. Most outdoor CP's are not going to have really deep root systems.

Back