What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drainage holes

How many inches below the surface of the substrate would be a decent height to put drainage holes for a mini-bog?

It's a large rubbermaid container, maybe 18x36 inches, 20 inches tall, and the substrate is 16-18 inches deep. It contains Sarrs and drosera. Would 4 inches below the surface of the substrate be enough? More?

Looking for answers from people who've done this before :D You know who you are ;)

Thanks!

I put mine just at the level of the soil or slightly above it - but then I live in a climate where water is scarce and it quickly evaporates. Keeping that in mind, you may want to ask someone who's made bog gardens closer to your latitude.

good point, thanks for your input

I use plastic litter boxes, without a tray. The holes are about 2 inches below the top of the substrate. I leave the holes unplugged during spring or if expecting storms and plug them up with twigs lying around during the warmer months. I also use dried LFS as a top dressing/mulch. It would also depend on your soil mix. In my conditions the plants do better with a real loose mix with alot of bark and LFS along with the peat and sand.

Why not use 2 drains so you can regulate the water level based on the season?

drain.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Valve positioning would need to be better than I depicted

Nice drawing, kayaker78. That's exactly what is needed. I have four drains in each of my bogs at different levels plus an overflow. All it takes is a bad forecast from the weatherman.

Hotrod30

Back