What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
Hello all!

Just joined the site since I recently decided that I was going to turn one of my aquariums into a potted CP tank...after seeing pics from a member of an aquaria site that I frequently visit, I have become practically addicted.

I have either a 10 or a 15 gallon to work with. It depends on whether I can upgrade my current 15 gallon to a 20L. The extra footprint would always be nice, but I think the 10 gallon would suffice.

Anyways, I've narrowed down my plants list to:

-D. capensis
-D. adela
-D. spatulata
-N. ventricosa

Maybe a P. moctezumae if there is room but I'm not going to be heart broken if there isn't. I've read and been told that these plants are on the easier side.

I'm more concerned about the tank setup itself.

Lighting: I was pretty sure beforehand that aquarium lighting wouldn't cut it. I was told that something like this would work. Really, I'm looking for the cheapest option possible.

Substrate: This is where I'm most lost. I've been toying with the idea of using live sphagnum moss or at least seeing if long fiber sphagnum would start growing again. Is this even a good idea? Would the sphagnum need a thin layer of the milled form or maybe just peat moss on the bottom then? Would this help with humidity as well or is there a better option? There are so many different setups out there I'm confused as to what is commonly advised and what doesn't actually work. I'd really like something else to be growing and give a more full terrarium look than just have the pots.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

so i take it, you are making an actual real terra instead of a potted terra (like mine--see growlist/shameless self promotion).

the problem with the plant choice is the substrate. neps require more aerated soil (LFS, perlite, orchid bark) while dews like peat, perlite, and sand. another problem is competition between the plants. capensis is a weed, and could drown out the entire tank, if not with flowers than with it's roots--all the more reason to keep them in their own pots.

if you really still insist on making a terrarium in the literal sense, you should contact blokeman. i think he has one of the best traditional terras on the forum, and he's managed to keep relatively hard to keep species all together without all the plants killing each other for space.

I was actually going to try to position the pots within the substrate, and not plant the plants directly in it...if that makes sense.

I do know that neps have problems with water logging and rotting roots. I thought maybe I could find a way to elevate that pot and still keep the rest in the sphagnum.

yeah---now that that's cleared up, that's exactly how i'd do it if i wanted soil all over the tank. make sure to keep the tank well ventillated. dont want mold and fungi growing all over the place.

So a layer of live or LF sphagnum over a thin layer of dead sphagnum/peat would be ok?

Any way then to keep the humidity in balance without getting mold or fungus problems?

Sphagnum can be another problem as it tends to grow really fast in the right conditions. D. adelae is another weed that will quickly spread through your terra.

Sphagnum can be another problem as it tends to grow really fast in the right conditions. D. adelae is another weed that will quickly spread through your terra.

Nod to this..

I have a adelae I plant in a terrarium with soil inside about 5 months ago. and it pulled out around 8 plantlets.. and its already taken 2/20 space in the 20 gallon tank. so yeah be sure to give this one lots open space to grow than the rest of the plant. it will eventually reward you with a shrub of dews

Hmmm...that's something I never really considered. Is sphagnum "trimmable" ie. would it just require pulling out hunks of the stuff if it overgrows?

Is the adelae unmanageable in a pot then? or would it just need to be thinned out too? Its mainly on the list because I have someone offering me one of their daughter plants for just the price of shipping.

Hi,

My only suggestion at this point is that you start reading everything you can BEFORE trying anything. There are so many variables to take into consideration, that you really aren't going to get a good start and everything you need to know from asking a few people's opinions.

If I were you I would go to the library and get some books out on the subject (you would be surprised sometimes at how many books a library may have on CP's), or try a local bookstore. I would also look on the net and read everything you can.

Look on this forum and others, not just asking questions and looking at todays posts, but go thru every subject category that applies (sundews, Nepenthes, VFT's, Greenhouses/Terrariums/Bogs) and read everything you can. Also do "searches" to add to that information.
You seem to be coming from no information nor experience, and if you want some success with this hobby, it will help you tremendously to learn as much as you can, so you can at least give your plants a chance of surviving, and you haveing success instead of disappointment. You also don't want to be spending a lot of money on things that are not right for your needs.

Your choice of lamp for instance, is not what I would buy, unless you are planning on trying out a CFL, and I think there are possibly better choices than going that route. It does depend on how cheap you are trying to go.
If you want to go very cheap, outdoor growing is an option.

I wish you luck, but please do consider reading up on the subject and learning about the plants you are planning to grow, as it will greatly increase your chances of success. And also, don't be expecting others to do the "brain work", research and thinking for you. If you are wanting to succeed at this and have a good time with this hobby, it involves learning things for yourself!

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reality check. I do feel I am getting in over my head. Tends to happen with a lot of my new projects...

I've been reading a bit, which is where the preliminary list came from. I definitely need to do more...just always felt that forums where the way to go to get some different ideas. Like other hobbies, there's always conflicting info.

The lighting in particular was recommended to me by someone who is currently using them. I've read varying things on how to light CP terrariums...some places say just put a lot of light out and others are more specific in terms of wattage and other variables. If those aren't going to work, well, then I'll stick to strip lighting. I could always use some pointers on what to look for or even just what ranges to shoot for.

As for substrate...I've seen a lot of different mediums thrown out there as well: sphagnum, peat, perlite, etc. I've convinced myself to ditch the live sphagnum for the time being. Should probably focus on keeping the actual CP's alive first. Since I'm keeping them in pots for now, I might just go with something like sphagnum to keep the humidity up, since that seems to be an option. Unless there are better mediums for doing that?

I don't plan on purchasing anything living until late this summer or in the fall. I'm definitely not going to jump into this without researching more. I've seen what that can do in the context of other hobbies.

The fact that you are doing a potted/planted terrarium instead of a planted kind and the fact that you understand that different plants have different needs tells me that at least you are on the right track. Too many people go right into a planted terrarium without understanding the level of difficulty and care involved. A potted/planted terrarium will make your life a lot easier without giving you the bare tank look. I would suggest that you use fluorescent lighting of some kind instead of the incandescent "grow lights" that throw off more heat than light.

Overall, I think you are off to a great start. But great starts are just that, starts. Keep reading; there's more to learn than you can possibly imagine.

-Hermes.

Oh, I agree with you on that part...so many different types of setups out there. Factor in all the plant possibilities (was definitely not aware of all the species and varieties available) and there's a lot to learn.

There's always something to learn...something that I've come to expect from keeping aquariums.

I need to look deeper into what I can do relatively cheap with fluorescents, although I don't want to short out the plants on light. I do see the immediate issue with the incandescents frying everything, especially with a smaller tank.

Back