User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First CP terrarium (10/15 gallons)

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First CP terrarium (10/15 gallons)

Hello all!

Just joined the site since I recently decided that I was going to turn one of my aquariums into a potted CP tank...after seeing pics from a member of an aquaria site that I frequently visit, I have become practically addicted.

I have either a 10 or a 15 gallon to work with. It depends on whether I can upgrade my current 15 gallon to a 20L. The extra footprint would always be nice, but I think the 10 gallon would suffice.

Anyways, I've narrowed down my plants list to:

-D. capensis
    -D. adela
    -D. spatulata
    -N. ventricosa

Maybe a P. moctezumae if there is room but I'm not going to be heart broken if there isn't. I've read and been told that these plants are on the easier side.

I'm more concerned about the tank setup itself.

Lighting: I was pretty sure beforehand that aquarium lighting wouldn't cut it. I was told that something like this would work. Really, I'm looking for the cheapest option possible.

Substrate: This is where I'm most lost. I've been toying with the idea of using live sphagnum moss or at least seeing if long fiber sphagnum would start growing again. Is this even a good idea? Would the sphagnum need a thin layer of the milled form or maybe just peat moss on the bottom then? Would this help with humidity as well or is there a better option? There are so many different setups out there I'm confused as to what is commonly advised and what doesn't actually work. I'd really like something else to be growing and give a more full terrarium look than just have the pots.

Thanks for all the help in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i take it, you are making an actual real terra instead of a potted terra (like mine--see growlist/shameless self promotion).

the problem with the plant choice is the substrate. neps require more aerated soil (LFS, perlite, orchid bark) while dews like peat, perlite, and sand. another problem is competition between the plants. capensis is a weed, and could drown out the entire tank, if not with flowers than with it's roots--all the more reason to keep them in their own pots.

if you really still insist on making a terrarium in the literal sense, you should contact blokeman. i think he has one of the best traditional terras on the forum, and he's managed to keep relatively hard to keep species all together without all the plants killing each other for space.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was actually going to try to position the pots within the substrate, and not plant the plants directly in it...if that makes sense.

I do know that neps have problems with water logging and rotting roots. I thought maybe I could find a way to elevate that pot and still keep the rest in the sphagnum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah---now that that's cleared up, that's exactly how i'd do it if i wanted soil all over the tank. make sure to keep the tank well ventillated. dont want mold and fungi growing all over the place.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So a layer of live or LF sphagnum over a thin layer of dead sphagnum/peat would be ok?

Any way then to keep the humidity in balance without getting mold or fungus problems?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sphagnum can be another problem as it tends to grow really fast in the right conditions. D. adelae is another weed that will quickly spread through your terra.
    Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116427
    Member of BACPS & ICPS

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? Albert Einstein

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frilleon View Post
    Sphagnum can be another problem as it tends to grow really fast in the right conditions. D. adelae is another weed that will quickly spread through your terra.
    Nod to this..

I have a adelae I plant in a terrarium with soil inside about 5 months ago. and it pulled out around 8 plantlets.. and its already taken 2/20 space in the 20 gallon tank. so yeah be sure to give this one lots open space to grow than the rest of the plant. it will eventually reward you with a shrub of dews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...that's something I never really considered. Is sphagnum "trimmable" ie. would it just require pulling out hunks of the stuff if it overgrows?

Is the adelae unmanageable in a pot then? or would it just need to be thinned out too? Its mainly on the list because I have someone offering me one of their daughter plants for just the price of shipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast