Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new custom terrarium build

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ill try breaking something with a little swearing later, but i just hope its not this , i desperately need the space now that my nep collection is growing.
    Last edited by uphwiz; 05-17-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its looking pretty good!!!

btw how much did this all cost if you dont mind disclosing because i would love to do this and itd help alot to know how much ill be looking at spending and how much glass ill be needing.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im adding some holes to the e track on the bottom as the other terr has issues with water buildup .
    it runs out and down the front of the tank , will have to make an adjustment to this one ,
    but the next is like this.
    there are 7 or eight of these holes through the back two vertical edges to let the water out.

Jeff i had to start using a new glass supplier,more expensive than my old guy, he's getting a little shaky and cant do the work he used to.They are a way more accurate ,
    I had trouble with the last tank in that the pieces were not square and not the same sizes , the ends didnt match and the top had quite a gap i had to fill with silicone , but it did work , back to your question ill have 200.00 maybe 230.00 in the supplies , that includes glass silicone e track , false bottom pieces, and some ducting (PVC) for venting , on that, I'm going to try something a little different with the venting , my old terr. has the air forced through the front door,it works well but ,i want to vent from the sides , more on that when i figure out what im going to do there. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat idea with the drainage holes in the E track, is that water build up caused by the automatic misting system or simple condensation? Is there any ventilation (passive or active) on the tank which has the water in the track?

I haven't yet setup my 37 gallon that I did the sliding front modification on back in Jan. but maybe I'll do those holes before I do setup just incase I need them later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the lowland terrarium, and has the computer fans blowing thru the door i leave it slightly cracked, the temps can reach 95 to 100 if I dont , and the misting sys isnt on this tank, there are no low humidity issues in this tank , also no humidifiers, im still using a fogger in a dish of water on this tank, and haven't changed the ceramic disk in 3 - 4 months, still working well enough to keep the humidity 80 + percent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the T5s are really heating up now with warmer weather. I've got my AC in the window and two fans blowing air around the room, one 12" stand fan directly on the terrarium shelves only gets things down to 84*F when the lights are on. The T5s are off for 6 hours now and the room is still 77*F according to two different thermometers (and 73*F outside according to the TV ). I wonder how much warmer the room will get if I acquire two more T5 fixtures for sticking on the new shelf I just bought... I can smell cooking mantis already! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've finaly got the terr in place, but still need to attach the air and misting system , the vent tube goes all the way thru and out the other side , ive still not decided how im going to attach it, but i am hoping the few holes you see drilled will disperse the air all around the plants, insted of just coming in at one entrance point, the doors are on order, and im planning on using two 2 bulb t-12 fixtures for a while , and save up ( the free shipping is over boo hoo), for the same model 2 bulb t-5 fixture like i have on the other highland terr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, I've thought about a similar air dispersal tube through a terrarium but never tried it so it will be interesting to see how it works out for you. The local orchid shop has these giant clear poly vent tubes about 2 feet in diameter up near the ceiling that run the length of the greenhouses and supplies the heating in the winter.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast