What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

holes in small fridge

uphwiz

jimmy
I purchased a small fridge used in hopes of some how using it to make an ultra highland terrarium .
has anyone attempted this and can a hole be made in the side wall in order to vent/ move (vie fan of some sort) cool air to the terr.
Is the freon/ coolant running all about the sides an such or is the cool air just moved around the fridge from one source , say underneath.
advise please:poke:
And thanks to all in advance :-D

I would try one of these coolers, you could find a way to remove the cooling unit from it and mount it on the terrarium or maybe drill and plumb it to allow water or air to circulate through it.

I assume this is a mini-fridge? If not disreguard the following : )

I dismantled a very small minifridge (not sure what the cubes were) The coolant was located in the cooling unit on the back of the unit (Not in the sides or anywhere else). The wires for the temp adjustor and light ran through the back piece of insulation. The sides were just thick styrofoam. Drilling the wholes would be perty easy, you shouldn't have much trouble. If you are worried about where exactly the wires are located I'm sure you could contact the company or something of that nature. I think replacing a portion of the door with glass would be kinda neat. Ask away if you want me to clarify anything.

....and another who's done it (w/o all the construction details).

Also, iirc there may be an old CPN article on someone who did it....

Jimmy,

STOP!!! DO NOT CUT A HOLE IN THE SIDES OR TOP OF YOUR FRIDGE!
Plug in the Fridge and let it run for a while. Where the freon lines run will feel Hot. I ordered a Fridge/Freezer on line. When it arrived I found that the freon lines ran around both the sides and top. Only the bottom and door was clear.
First did you buy one that you can turn the thermostat down and it becomes a freezer?
If you didn’t it probably will not cool the area you wish to lower the temperature in. Even with a Timer set only for 8 hours of cool down and a Temperature Switch to turn it on and off when it reaches your desired Temperature, a Refrigerator is not designed to run constantly like that and will soon burn up. There is also the condensation issue. You can’t believe the water that is created when the cool air from the Fridge hits the warm air from the Terrarium. Both in the Fridge and the Terrarium. You will need a drain line that is open all the time. Then there is the issue of air flow. You need room air to go into your Fridge and then into your Terrarium. If you place a small fan in the Fridge or Duct it can only pull so much air from a closed box. If you have the air flow to the Terrarium next it must exit the Terrarium or be ducted back to the Fridge. Its like blowing into a box of Theater Candy to make that tooting sound. The air can go in, but it also needs to come out. It has to go somewhere. You don’t want it just seeping out of the cracks in the Terrarium Lid. You’ll have condensation running down the out side. I’m still struggling with all these issues my self.

ccgpro

hey thanks here is the fridge any more thoughts . on how to get the 50 degree temps i want in my terrarium i'm putting together now
IMG_1524.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1530.jpg
i have made holes in both sides of the terr. for one in and one out , so it can vent too all ideas welcome thanks cgpro may be i can go thru the top , and it doews have a temp setting gauge , see it in the third pic here

Years back when I was a real Nep nut there was a guy named Jeff (Neps) who made an ultra highland terrarium out of an open top deep freeze chest for his N. villosa - there was other species too I think but villosa was the superstar of the setup. The plants themselves went down into the temp regulated freezer. He replaced the lid with glass so he could illuminate and observe the plants. I haven't seen him around here in a while but if you do a search for posts by him in the TF Nep forum you ought to run across his old posts on this.

still working on some designs , any thoughts on this lay out to help with the excess drainage and condensation
IMG_1542-1.jpg
Also i can still get a little use of the fridge IE a couple sodas in the door , Maybe ??:blush:

I've always thought the fridge method was an interesting one.
Anyway, it seems like this is going to be a great project.
Good luck!

Jimmy,

Your on the right tract!!! Mine was a mini fridge and is only half the height. It didn’t have any info like yours and the manufacture would not provide any info due to legal reasons. Lets start with what you have. You’ll only need one fan going to the terrarium to push or draw the cool air into the tank, a 4 inch fan is far too powerful for this setup unless you use a speed controller. A 30 or 40 mm fan will be enough. Too much fan will really over work the fridge. You'll still need a small fan inside the tank to circulate the air during daylight hours. Next I like the idea of the drip pan and would suggest insulating the two sides, back and top of the terrarium with half inch silver coated insulation board. This will also cut down on the condensation. Speaking of condensation, your going to get a lot in the fridge when the warm air from the terrarium hits the fridge. I would raise the fridge off the floor 6-12 inches, remove the drawer, silicone a piece of plexiglass in the lower front of the fridge. Just like you did with your other terrariums. Then I would install a bulkhead fitting and hose in the bottom of the fridge to drain the condensation. Your going to need a heavy duty timer to turn the fridge on and off at the desired times, and some type of temperature sensor probe to turn the fridge on and off then the desired temp is reached.
Your going through a lot of work and expense for this project, but I feel you will soon out grow the size. You never have enough tanks or space in the tanks. The fridge is a very sturdy platform. As long as you provide adequate support such as two sheets of ¾ inch plywood with legs on the outside corners you could mount almost any size tank above the fridge. Or the fridge could be stationed next to the tank and not underneath it. I use a Critter Tank, its 16”x 18”x 36” one end is only glass on the bottom half and a plexiglass panel filling the rest of the side. Its half the price of the same size fish aquarium. I use mine in the usual orientation (open top up) with a three sided 24” plexiglass extension. I use a glass top to reduce warping under the lights. I duct my fans, drains, humidistat wires, heater wires, drain tubing, and air line tubing through the plexiglass. By using this type of tank you wouldn’t need to drill two 4” holes through the glass. You could turn the tank on its side like you did with your other terrarium, dam the front, install sliding glass doors and dam the lower part where the removable plastic panel goes. You would still need to drill the bottom for a drain line, but that would be the only hole you would have to drill in any glass.
By the way the Hummer’s Giant picked up and is doing well. I’ll send a picture when I can take it outside. Yesterday it was 85°F today its snowing.

ccgpro

Back