Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holes in small fridge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question holes in small fridge

I purchased a small fridge used in hopes of some how using it to make an ultra highland terrarium .
    has anyone attempted this and can a hole be made in the side wall in order to vent/ move (vie fan of some sort) cool air to the terr.
    Is the freon/ coolant running all about the sides an such or is the cool air just moved around the fridge from one source , say underneath.
    advise please
    And thanks to all in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try one of these coolers, you could find a way to remove the cooling unit from it and mount it on the terrarium or maybe drill and plumb it to allow water or air to circulate through it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume this is a mini-fridge? If not disreguard the following : )

I dismantled a very small minifridge (not sure what the cubes were) The coolant was located in the cooling unit on the back of the unit (Not in the sides or anywhere else). The wires for the temp adjustor and light ran through the back piece of insulation. The sides were just thick styrofoam. Drilling the wholes would be perty easy, you shouldn't have much trouble. If you are worried about where exactly the wires are located I'm sure you could contact the company or something of that nature. I think replacing a portion of the door with glass would be kinda neat. Ask away if you want me to clarify anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....and another who's done it (w/o all the construction details).

Also, iirc there may be an old CPN article on someone who did it....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy,

STOP!!! DO NOT CUT A HOLE IN THE SIDES OR TOP OF YOUR FRIDGE!
    Plug in the Fridge and let it run for a while. Where the freon lines run will feel Hot. I ordered a Fridge/Freezer on line. When it arrived I found that the freon lines ran around both the sides and top. Only the bottom and door was clear.
    First did you buy one that you can turn the thermostat down and it becomes a freezer?
    If you didn’t it probably will not cool the area you wish to lower the temperature in. Even with a Timer set only for 8 hours of cool down and a Temperature Switch to turn it on and off when it reaches your desired Temperature, a Refrigerator is not designed to run constantly like that and will soon burn up. There is also the condensation issue. You can’t believe the water that is created when the cool air from the Fridge hits the warm air from the Terrarium. Both in the Fridge and the Terrarium. You will need a drain line that is open all the time. Then there is the issue of air flow. You need room air to go into your Fridge and then into your Terrarium. If you place a small fan in the Fridge or Duct it can only pull so much air from a closed box. If you have the air flow to the Terrarium next it must exit the Terrarium or be ducted back to the Fridge. Its like blowing into a box of Theater Candy to make that tooting sound. The air can go in, but it also needs to come out. It has to go somewhere. You don’t want it just seeping out of the cracks in the Terrarium Lid. You’ll have condensation running down the out side. I’m still struggling with all these issues my self.

ccgpro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey thanks here is the fridge any more thoughts . on how to get the 50 degree temps i want in my terrarium i'm putting together now
    i have made holes in both sides of the terr. for one in and one out , so it can vent too all ideas welcome thanks cgpro may be i can go thru the top , and it doews have a temp setting gauge , see it in the third pic here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years back when I was a real Nep nut there was a guy named Jeff (Neps) who made an ultra highland terrarium out of an open top deep freeze chest for his N. villosa - there was other species too I think but villosa was the superstar of the setup. The plants themselves went down into the temp regulated freezer. He replaced the lid with glass so he could illuminate and observe the plants. I haven't seen him around here in a while but if you do a search for posts by him in the TF Nep forum you ought to run across his old posts on this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast