Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrarium from scratch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terrarium from scratch

Just thought I'd post some pictures of my creation. I used a couple of old bathroom mirrors to make this (the huge, whole-wall ones), one from a remodel on one of my bathrooms, and another that I bought for $10 on craigslist. I cut the mirror to size (screwed up a few cuts, good thing I had some extra). I then siliconed the pieces together, and added doors using the same source for parts as Swampdonkey in his terrarium conversion thread. I just used the pieces for 1/4 glass instead of 1/8. Right now, it has a piece of plexi on top temporarily until I figure out whether I want to add another light.

This is very cheap to make: $20 or so for glass (there's lots of people selling giant old bathroom mirrors on craigslist, at least in my area), $5 for silicone, $5 for the pieces for the doors (although minimum order is $25, so I have enough for several more), $10 for 2 foot shoplight at Walmart. I plan on making another for highland stuff when I get time.

SHAMELESS PLUG - I'm going to be cutting my ventricosa 'red' soon, and want to trade for some more lowlanders to put in here - PM me! (I know vent is pretty common, so I'm willing to even out any trades with shipping or whatever).

On to the pictures:

I took a few at night, because it looks cool.

Picture through the top with one of my makeshift glass top pieces removed. I know, the plants look a little sad, but they're all lowlanders that were in suboptimal conditions before I finished this.

Picture of the front with the lights on:

Another pic with the lights on - I put some of my scrap pieces of mirror on the top to keep max light in:

Picture of the front with one door open (looks like millions of plants because of the mirrors, but it's only 3):

The other door open:

At least my amp is happy now:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's pretty cool, the mirrors do trick my eyes a little haha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of a guy I knew back in college, had one of these in his apartment...
    but for him I understood the use of mirrors/room darkening qualities!

I am wondering why you opted for mirrors instead of something transparent?
    Maybe it is just me, but I like to actually see and enjoy my plants while they are growing!

Also, I think from reading a little bit, I found that reflective mylar works better at reflecting light than regular mirrors.... perhaps I am wrong, I don't remember for sure.

I would have spent the money on some more lights and called it a day.

Just curious what made you choose mirrors... although you can buy less plants this way for sure, and it will still feel like you have a room full!

Well, good luck!
    It sure does look like your Amp is liking it! Nothing like a Happy-Ampy'
    Last edited by GrowinOld; 04-24-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: correction
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha.. you're bald. That thing looks sweet at night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used mirrors because it's what I had. It's hard to find aquariums that are wide enough to accommodate neps. I'd rather use fewer lights, as it's less costly in the long run when they run for 12 hours a day every day. Also, this went into one of my spare bedrooms, so I didn't want guests to have a fully lit room whenever the light was on. I like to look at my plants too, but I don't sit for hours staring at them. I considered putting regular glass in the doors instead of mirrors, but considering the amount of time I actually spend looking at them, I figured I'd rather have the reflectivity.

I haven't seen any data on the reflectivity of mylar and mirrors, but I'd be curious what the numbers are.

Edit: the dimensions are 29" wide x 18" deep x 24" high

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recycle - Reduce - Reuse...

Nice job!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    I wasn't trying to offend... (Nice handy work actually....)
    I just didn't get it, as it reminded me of some of the more "covert" setups I have seen in years past! With the people I have over, they would all be "suspecting" me of something "unsavory" right off the bat, and it would get old after a while. (It's bad enough, them not understanding what I see in a plant the size of a quarter, let alone having to prove to everyone I am not into "that"!)

I certainly understand about recycling... I even cut up old milk jugs to make plant tags!...after I am done re-using them to carry water!, so I certainly do understand using what's on-hand!
    It does look like the plants like it, and that's ultimately what counts.

And while I don't get that much into it as far as #'s are concerned....if you are that curious about the reflectivity of mylar vs mirrors...Google it! The information is out there! (Besides, mylar doesn't add "structure" to it like your heavy glass mirrors do, so you do have the advantage of that.) If you look around here, a lot of people are using mirrors to build their chambers out of.

Again, my only reaction was to it reminding me of something "else"! It will certainly make company curious as to what's inside!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast