Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Grow Chamber/Box...In Progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A large update- Glass is now in place, almost a quarter inch thick. New t5 6 lamp light fixture and a small fan. Found out im going to need another fan in place to help move in cool air. I have my ultrasonic humidifier going as well. A couple pics for now, will show features later

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks nice and bright... Those Helis oughta color up in no time now.
    I would run a trial just to get a reading of how high the temps will rise with the fans on. Those T5s really pack a punch. If 75 (from that last pic) is the highest it gets you really should be in good shape. From the looks of it nice job on the setup, it's come a long way since that first post!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Yann. Temps are constant and as of right now staying at 70 with the fan and humidifier running. I was wondering if the mist is okay with the small helis? Should I set them on the bottom shelf or dont run it as much?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av or Dave would probably be better able to answer that for you but here is what I would do. What does your RH hover around? Assuming it is in the 50-70% range I would run the mister in the morning and evening but not 24/7 just because I would be afraid of rot setting in.
    Upwhiz (I think) set up a misting system that runs pretty frequently; you may want to ask him how it's working out for him and if he's tweeked anything.
    Av had noted that young Heli pitchers by the hole where his fogger entered, would have their nectar spoons die off while older pitchers would not. I don't know if that would be relevant to your setup/humidifier but something to consider.
    Again both of them can give you much better insight, I'm sure they'll chime in :P

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jayson,

As Yann mentioned Ive experienced issues with young helis that were constantly in the direct flow from the humidifier. Wistuba also mentions in his recommendations that helis do not like excessive misting.

Now I use to mist mine a couple times a day with good results... just don't over do it IMHO, give them a chance to dry out some, especially before bed

Like most variables there is a point of diminishing returns

Nice temps btw, fwiw we have practically identical setups, but yours is a little nicer

While not absolutely required, I have bagged Wistuba helis for a couple weeks while they recover from their journey and acclimate somewhat. However, the last bunch I got in I simply put in a lower airflow/higher humidity region of my rack and they did just as well.

Just watch for early signs of desiccation for a couple weeks, it can happen quickly

speaking from experience but ymmv

Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 06-07-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Av, I kept them in the bag for the first week and now they are out. By any chance where would be the "lower airflow/higher humidity region in your setup? A couple pics just for fun, with the new light you can really tell the differance
    Couple new pitchers
    H. tatei

H. heterodoxa x minor

New growth already on the H. heterodoxa x nutan!

Any guesses?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying any guesses about the last plant?? Looks exactly like my n. truncata did when I got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can read the label on the last pic. N.truncata QoH x KoS !!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast