Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Grow Chamber/Box...In Progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Grow Chamber/Box...In Progress

Hey guys,
    Back a couple months ago I made a decent sized order with wistuba, they should be here sometime this month. Not knowing where to put them I decided to build a box for them. First I needed a shelf to put into the chamber so I took steel wool to an old rusted chrome shelf. Then painted it to keep it from rusting agian.

Started off with 3 pieces of 2'x12' insulation board, a roll of duck tape, a stapler and mylar.

Attached mylar onto insulation with staples

Pieces put together by tape Not so pretty from the outside but hopefully it will do the trick

Shelf Added- only one light fixture, going to get bright with a T5 lol

Things that I still need to get are glass for the top, 6 bulbT5 light fixture, and two CPU fans or if I can find a small fan....The chamber is currently in my basement where hopefully it will be cool enough.
    Any comments would be very helpful at this point, thanks for looking

Jay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no comments on what else you may need, but man..that looks goooood.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious to see how this works out for you. About 6 - 8 months ago I did the same on a smaller scale (only 2 shelves) and without mylar. In the long run I found it to be more cumbersome then anything else mainly due to the insulation limiting the grow space on all sides.
    Granted I could have gone a size up but I did not wish to spend the funds. What are you using for the front as cover? I used a simple plastic sheet that I draped over.

Don't let my experience discourage from this, I'm certain it can work well but for my uses it did not. Keep us posted!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. I see what your talking about frenchez, for the most part I will be growing only heliamphoras and my hamata so having enough space shouldnt be a problem...hopefully ha. For the front I used the same insulation with mylar, the 4th picture shows what it looks like. Only worry atm is heat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good man! I am curious how the insulation will work out for you as far as making it cool enough or instead keeping all that T5 heat in.

I'm getting my T5 lighting on monday (if the UPS delivery schedule holds). I'm fearful of the heat they may produce so I've only bought 2 twin tube T5 setups for my vivarium shelf for now. I may buy more of course for other shelves later once I see what kinda temps I'm getting with these. Since there will be lights on each shelf all the way up I will likely have to play with fans to find a way to keep temps under control.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha Ha. Jason 16 I too have almost the same setup and I gree with French and Swords. I have 6 48inch t12's and right now heat is being one of my concerns since I have some helis heredoxa x minor coming on wed. or thrus. I have 2 cpu fans on my chamber/ box but it surely doesn't help with heat. Upwhiz is trying to help me to create a way how to keep the helis cool enought to survive.

This is what it looks like right now:

oh yeah, I need a front cover which French just gave me! Thanks French.
    Let us know how it goes with your growing chamber/ box. lol
    Growlist

Jesse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jayson: I'd say for Heli's that your setup will be just fine. Swords brought up the point I want to mention; heat. It will be tricky to keep the heat down all the while trying to keep the RH up. 6 T5s REALLY pack a punch heat wise but glass will help limit how much actually gets inside your setup. I tried to mess with these figures and this set up but I found it to be very difficult. I would say keep your plants cool and don't worry too much about RH. Keeping a tarp over the front only aggravated the problem and turned the setup into a miny greenhouse. I ended up sticking a $10 miny fan from walmart in mine but again the results were limited mainly because I couldn't get the night time drops. Check out Av8tors thread on To peltier or not to peltier. It's a FANTASTIC guide and he's worked me through all the do's and don'ts of such a setup and then some. Really useful, works well for Highlanders and Helis but on a small scale. Your current setup though is ideal for LLs but that's not to say it can't be tweeked around to suit your needs.

Jag: uuhhh...You're welcome lol
    I'm sure these are points you've already addressed but I wanted to bring them up just in case. Keep a close eye on the temps when you drape that cover over the front. As I mentioned above to Jayson, I'd be concerned about the miny greenhouse effect. It also looks like you have wood on the inside so I would keep an eye on the RH when the cover is down so that you don't get condensation and eventually wood rot, or reconsider. Looks like your hygrometer is reading 49% with the cover off; pretty similar to my readings. I was getting about 70% with the cover draped over but it doesn't look as if you have anything requiring higher RH so I would go without the front cover. 20% sounds like a lot but I saw no obvious benefits to the plants when I had the cover down. That shelf looks custom made, big props on the very neat craftsmanship, looks like the plants are happy in it! But enough babble, like I said I'm sure these are points you've already addressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F R e N c H 3 z View Post
    Jag: It also looks like you have wood on the inside so I would keep an eye on the RH when the cover is down so that you don't get condensation and eventually wood rot, or reconsider. Looks like your hygrometer is reading 49% with the cover off; pretty similar to my readings. I was getting about 70% with the cover draped over but it doesn't look as if you have anything requiring higher RH so I would go without the front cover. 20% sounds like a lot but I saw no obvious benefits to the plants when I had the cover down. That shelf looks custom made, big props on the very neat craftsmanship, looks like the plants are happy in it! But enough babble, like I said I'm sure these are points you've already addressed.
    French3z,

I Actually the wood is already treated so that humidity will not affect it so much. Besides it was only .83 cents / 8 feet lol. The reason why I am going to need a higher humidity is because I am waiting a shipment of a pair of Heliamphora minor x heredoxa. Based on countless hours of reading it needs higher humidity than 49%. My corcern is not so much the humdity because I know that putting the drape and will most likely take care of it. My corcern is how to get lower temperatures. My room is in the south side of my house and have exterior wood siding so it really gets hot at times.
    Thanks for the comment on my box. Just to add, it was only $15 dollars to build! not including the white middle rack, light fixtures, bulbs, and 3/4 sanded plywood holding the light fixtures (can't see it on the picture). But enough about me and my problems.

Jason let me add that the mylar installation is a big plus! I have mylar on my LL box and a cheapo compact fl. light and have a really nice coloration on my plants. Good choice to add that! Also, I noticed that the outside of your box has all that duct tape and mylar. If you want you can wrap 1/16" plywood and stain it whatever color you want! That way it makes your presentation look better (if you want ofcourse). If you are considering T5 light fixtures maybe I would go with a small fan.(Depending on how many lights you are plannig to have). You said 6-T5, that will produce heat. If you read from T5 users here in this forum, almost all say that heat must be considered for growing certain plants. I have 6-T12 magnetic ballast and produces a lot heat (need to upgrade!) but enough to put a small fan. I want to clarify that I do not have any experience on T5 light fixtures and heat related to those fixtures. This assuptions are all based on reading from this forum and other experienced growers. Just want to clarify before I get attacked from any of the T5 users and anything wrong that I might have said. lol Hope this helps in any way.
    Growlist

Jesse

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast