What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pots w/o Drainage Question

I bought the cutest little container for 25¢ this weekend and thought it would make a cute mini bog garden. My question is...how do I know when it is time to water? Any suggestions welcomed!

Um... drill a hole in the bottom, put a container to then be filled with water under it? ???

I use pots with drainage holes, but then I silicone the little hole at the bottom to create an undrained container. When the pot is full of rainwater, I just tip it over to let the excess drain out. As for when to water, everyday it doesn't rain, just to be safe. I usually add a couple cups of water to a liter depending on how the sun does its job. You could put a tube through the media to check where the level is. Put a cork on a stick and you can see at what depth you have water.

my 2 cents :D

edit* only issue I have yet to have is mineral accumulation due to it being undrained. Silence is god's idea sounds like better plan for the long term. I unpot mine every year for dormancy, that's probably why I've yet to have any issues.

When the surface is dry... add water.

LOL jimscott, why complicate things ;)

My math teacher once told me 'there is always a simple solution to every problem', you couldn't have simplified it more than that!

Oh yeah, i JUST remembered my bogs, i have the plug removed but stuffed with spaghnum. So it is semi-drained

standpipe?

Have you thought about putting a short piece of 1/2"-3/4"pvc "standpipe" in your pot? Make it just long enough to it barely reaches the surface of the soil. This will let you visually check the water level AND give you a place to add water without disturbing the soil.

That would be a fantastic little pot for U. sandersonii or some other continually blooming Utric, no real worries about drainage with those.

Back