What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White LED experiment

I did but I found if i held them a certain way it didn't matter :p

hehehehehe you've been in rare form lately Mobile, someone must have spiked the Guinness errrr Tennents ;)

I did but I found if i held them a certain way it didn't matter :p

hehehehehe you've been in rare form lately Mobile, someone must have spiked the Guinness errrr Tennents ;)
I'm not keen on lager, so I'll pass on the Tennents. I did have some very nice microbrews last time I was in the US though. Guinness is very nice when it's kept well, but I only usually drink it in the winter. A nice cold Belgium Framboise is my favourite beer in the summer or nice real ale when I visit a pub :)

Have any of you LED gurus considered constructing identical terrariums with a different light source in each. Starting with the same soil mix and a cutting from the same plant in each terrarium? I suppose you would have to tweak the air flow and size of tank according to the light source. But if you could get all tanks to around the same temperature that would be an amazing experiment IMO. It wouldn't be necessary to do all of these experiments at once obviously but being able to see side by side comparisons would be really neat, I suppose it would take a little extra work to set up though.

I was thinking something like a ping leaf cutting or drosera cutting under a MH/HPS, T5, T8, T12, CFLs, LED or whatever would fit the scientist's fancy.

I would do it myself but first I have to self-educate and try to understand HALF of what has been mentioned thus far in the thread : p
(I should probably learn how to solder and read an assembly map as well hehe)

I realize this isn't a ground breaking idea, but my visual learning curve was hoping someone was thinking about it. Or atleast thinking about posting more pictures!

Cool work with the LEDs guys,

-Phill

Phil, Right now its still a matter of "will it grow plants" more then "how well it will grow plants" when compared to the other formats you mentioned.

To do such a comparison we would have use equal wattages in each format. Otherwise the experiment would be biased toward one format or another.... not to mention balancing the inequalities of reflector vs optic vs whatever.

Currently I'm only using one Luxeon Rebel Tristar module at 75% of Imax (maximum current rating) so I'm basically using right at 7watts.

Buttttttttt consider what is happening so far with just 7 watts, that is the truly impressive part.

So yes, it's a great idea, but just not really possible yet.

Butch

Last edited:
Hehe, excellent. The future is awesome.

Thanks Butch,
-Phill

More LEDs

Butch,

So, how are things "growing"?
I did see some LED spotlight "bulbs" with the chips in them recently, and almost bought one (around $20) just to play with! (Immediately thought of you and your experiment.)

Also...Here's some of the "cutting edge" Reef Aquarium LED fixtures I recently saw, that people are using.

http://www.eco-lamps.com/
http://www.eco-lamps.com/led_aquarium_light_krseries_product.htm
http://www.eco-sell.com/services/es...s&CatType=Category&CatID=&II=KR92-36S&lang=us
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/articles

I know there are others, but these seem to be the up and coming ones from what I read. :hail:

Just thought you might want to buy a half dozen... to try them out. :-))
They are a bit out of my budget however.
Guess I will have to wait until... well, I will just say I likely won't be getting one soon! ???

Interesting to see what it out there and what people are doing. :banana2:
I don't know if all this relates, but it was interesting to see, and I immediately thought of you! :-D

Ah, the fun we could have if only I had won the lottery!
Well, for now, it is the sun for me! :p

Take care.
:water: Paul

More info:
http://reefbuilders.com/2009/06/22/eco-lamps-led-aquarium-lighting-kr92/
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature2
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t199287.html

D. cape red update...

The plant took a long time to recover after shipment. I had placed it in my ICU tank (gentle lighting) and it did start to recover. The new growth was green but it appeared to be over the hump.
But when I placed it under the LED, it died back again.

Not sure of what conclusion to draw from this, with only the one plant and it having issues to begin with... maybe the stress of the increased light level was just too much too soon. But odd that the cape alba seemed to absolutely love the LED under the same conditions... I just dunno

I'm going to put it back in the ICU tank and move on to the next plant.... if i can get it fully recovered I may try it again

(Crissy is laughing in the background cuz she knows I have killed every cape given to me LOL, they just don't like me for some reason)

:p

can send along another red. this is interesting. have some being grown under lexan so being exposed to less UV. Did the new leaves turn black? that is what I saw with D. regia when I tried them outside in my conditions.......

mahalo,
MTF

Av,

Any thoughts on how Heliamphora would fare under white LED? I've seen beautiful colouration on H. pulchella grown under intense light from a 35W metal halide tight-beam spot so was thinking that a tight-beam LED at a shorter distance might perform similar.

ceph and heli are the next test subjects

the problem with heli will be shadowing.... will need more then one tristar if its a tall species

Mach, sorta black... but more like just died back, hard to explain.... dont send another mate, let me nurse this one back to health while i try a ceph :)

Butch

the problem with heli will be shadowing.... will need more then one tristar if its a tall species
That's why I was thinking of H. pulchella. I've got one on the way so might try it under a 7W LED spot

the 40 degrees should do well, the 4200k should do well, the 70cri is a wee on the low side for aesthetics but may do well for plant growth....

happy to see ya testing the waters mobile,
Butch

It's the 25° one I have on order. I figured that as it's only a single plant then I wouldn't need much spread. They are dimmable too, so if intensity is too high I should be able to turn it down.

22 is what ive been playing with.... i definitely wouldnt go any less

is it the CW spectral curve in the PDF file?

Yes, it's the CW, which is 4200K. I was initially torn between the CW and WW as the red chloropyll peak looks a little low on the CW, compared to that of the WW, but then I noticed that the mW/nm scaling is different between the CW and WW charts, though it still looks like it is half that of the WW. I figured that the plant may benefit more from the higher blue peak.

Thez, too small to be of much use IMHO....even for clandestine applications I'm not sure i see much potential.

But on the cool factor scale, I'd score it pretty high

I bet they just give it away too ;-)

:p

Cephalotus trial

Day 1
(Kitty Litter container)

Cephalotus HG that had been on the lower shelf and to one side of my plant rack (lower light level).
Obviously green but growing nicely. Currently sending up winter leaves.

ceph_led_8272010.jpg

Pic taken 20:00 8.27.2010

Av

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

This will be interesting :)

Back