What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White LED experiment

Now that Hummer is gonna colour up nicely.

I'm still awaiting my pulchella and lamp but will post pics when I get. Do you mind me appending them to this thread or would you prefer I start a new one Av?

ohhhhh please append :)

excellent!

Hi Av,

You mentioned that the 40° should do well. As I stated after, I had ordered the 25° version. It just so happens that the supplier has sent the wrong one and I have a 40° version but before consider sending it back I would like to know why you would have chose that one.

the 40 degrees should do well, the 4200k should do well, the 70cri is a wee on the low side for aesthetics but may do well for plant growth....

happy to see ya testing the waters mobile,
Butch

The 40 would seem (assumption) to be a better selection for most small plants... wider optical footprint and less chance of overkill when using a 10 gallon aquarium

The 22 degree footprint is just so tiny at these distances

now if it was canopy penetration i was going for, the 22 would be better... but i suspect that it is just a little too much bang for such close distances... I have to wonder if i didn't fry the red cape

but this is all WAG'n and SWAG'n mate
(wild arse guesstimates and sophisticated, wild arse guesstimates)

hmmm... maybe I'll keep the 40°, as it seems über bright.

SS852166.JPG

SS852168.JPG

SS852169.JPG

Very nice looking outfit Mobile,

Looking at the footprint on the table, just imagine a 22 degree being about half as much...

The lamp has a concentrated beam, which pretty much fills the canopy of the Heliamphora. The remainder that you see around the tub is a lot less intense scatter. I think 40 Deg is a better choice for this setup.

does the heatsink seem to get warm?

How many individual emitters?

How do you adjust the driver current?

does the heatsink seem to get warm?

How many individual emitters?

How do you adjust the driver current?

I'd say that the heatsink was hot rather than warm. I will try to measure it but my thermocouple broke some time ago so I'm resigned to having to use a thermometer. There are four emmitters. I've not really investigated the driver current adjustment but the datasheet lists recommended dimmers. The build quality seems to be quite high, as expected from Philips.

first impression is "wow, that looks nice"
Phillips is Luxeon, it just dont get any better then them and Cree IMHO...

Great addition to the thread :)

first impression is "wow, that looks nice"
Phillips is Luxeon, it just dont get any better then them and Cree IMHO...

Great addition to the thread :)
Yes, and I guess they would know better than anyone else on thermal management of their own devices ;)
It remains to be seen how the Heliamphora performs. I have been told that this plant was previousely growing in an open tank, so it should be used to a low humidity. I have it in an open environment so humidity will be pretty much whatever the room is at, plus a little bit extra from the surrounding water tub. I have successfully grown H. minor in a similar position.

Starting to colour up nicely...

SS852198.JPG

SS852202.JPG

outstanding progress... my ceph is coloring up as well

what is the approx distance to the emitters?

wow.... close, im about 10"

careful mate....

Yes, but you have a tighter beam angle.

Sunday is feeding day (with tomatoes plant food of course!), so I took the opportunity to take a picture of the plant. As you can see, it is putting out new pitchers...

17102010405.jpg

Looking good!
How are you applying the fertilizer and at what strength? The sphagnum looks good too.

Looking good!
How are you applying the fertilizer and at what strength? The sphagnum looks good too.
Hi,

The fertiliser is N4.0 P4.5 K8.0 and I apply it at dilution strength of 4ml/l, every two or three weeks.

Back